Combines 2188

Chuckm

That experience would be exactly 180 degrees from ours. We switched from JD conventionals to a 1660 with 2200 hours on it and our repair costs have been next to nothing for three seasons now.

riceman

Do you do your own work on your machinesIJ I've never worked on a IH, but I've been all over a 9600. Just depends if you like working on them alot. The IH would be easier to mess with and easier to upgrade as far as different rotors and such. The 9600 is basically a "what you see is what you get" combine. They do fair in all crops, but nothing outstanding in any crop. Just get the rotor of you plan on straight cutting your rice. Any rotor too, it doesn't really matter. Except the New Holland. But thats not a true rotor! Or the STS for that matter!!!

Winst

Isn't the smaller combine more trouble freeIJ This is what a couple of mechanics that work at the dealerships have told me. I wish I would have gotten a 1666 or 2166. Most people who have them have good luck.

JB

Currently have a 1688. Had 7720 before. In green stem beans or down rice the JD with it's spike tooth seem to handle it better than the rotor or made less noise anyway. Never choked cylinder on 7720 but have on the 1688. Just looking to buy 2nd combine, thinking about going back to deere, but have not ruled out red altogether. Anyone know what came first, the sts with the cork screw feeding system or afx rotor with a similiar designIJ

Farm_Kid2

I've not been around the 60 series, but I think the 80 series maintenance is acceptable with careful operation. However, just kicking the pto in one time at full throttle with the rotor plugged will cost you $5K. When you buy a used machine of any color it is a gamble. The 80 series is very lightly built, that's a fact, but if you regularly fight mud like we do, that is quite an advantage.

Wind

The AFX, or it predessor was in development as early as 1992. Only reason why it never appeared in production till a couple of years ago was pandns poor management of the the Case Corp. Kept looking for the "dream" machine instead of keeping the market share and Deere from catching up with them. The patent was issued in about 1993, I think. But Case management kept asking for more dreams instead of paying attention to the machine that was making them money.

Deadduck

NH had screw type impeller before anyone else, I think. The Massey rotories may have too.

riceman

Yep. Massey had it way back in 85 or 86. In the 8560. Its kinda funny looking at a STS or the Stewart Steel kit for the IH and not thinking that its not a copyright infringement. On the Massey, the thing that helps the most in my opinion is where the beater feeds the crop into the rotor. Ours comes from underneath the rotor. Unlike a STS that tries to cram all the crop in the front of the rotor. Its just a poor design. The rotor has to ride and spin on a bearing. That bearing has to be supported by something. And all your crop has to pass under the support, so its like a half diameter rotor feeding place. Make senseIJIJ