Combines 2388 Rotor Belt

CAJUN__BOY

had same problem on our 2188 rotor rpm loss changed rotor installed AFX installed new larger hub with HD spring_ HD hub drive kit was $1100.00 from dealer, after installation no rpm loss burnt pto clutch, father trying to unchoke rotor but belt never sliped was very satisfied with new setup just had to watch engine rpms! good luck!PS couldn't see any difference in the two hubs except of angle of cam I think it would work on the 1680s!!!!

9610combiner

Have you checked pulley alignmentIJ We had a 1460 that would eat rotor belts. Once we properly aligned pulleys no further problems. It was sent out of the factor out of alignment. My 2 cents worth.

steve_farmer

I don't know if it is possible at 700 hrs. but if the internal bushings get worn, the pulley halves will not run parallel to one another and it can cause a binding. You can tell by seeing if the halves are closer together on the right side of the pulleys than the left where the belt is. Never know!

P_C

Thanks for the info. I will check pulley alignment and make sure sheaves are parallel. Hate to spend the money but it might come to updating the complete assembly. Could be cheaper in the long run.

Highpockets

A few years ago we had the same problem in soybeans. It was a few bolts missing in the transition cone. It bent the guide bars and the only way to fix the problem was to replace them. I hope you don't have this problem but check by looking up to the bottom of the machine at the top of the feederhouse.

boog

WE had the same problem on our 2366 last fall and never could find the problem. Even put on a heavier spring and new rotor belt. CIH tech went thru the torque unit and couldn't find anything wrong. Book calls for 2 shots grease per day which we had always done. Tech said to cutback to 1 shot or 2 every other day. This was in soybeans and finally had to drop to the low spd on the rotor drive, after which we didn't have any problems till we switched to corn. When we got into some real dry corn (12-13%) and tried to slow the rotor down under 300 rpm it would start belt would start to slip again. We think we may have solved the problem - traded it for a 2388. :~)

Wolffman

If you suspect you are over greasing, cut down to 2 shots a day and clean your belt and sheaves with brake parts cleaner several times a day for several days. This should rule out if your over greasing. I had this problem on a Gleaner once, and it just takes a small film of grease to cause problems. Good luck! CW

dave_morgan

Running the gear box in as low a range as possible will give the rotor belt more torque, it runs faster in porportion to rotor speed...Kind of like a 2 sp axle in a truck, less stress on drive shaft, transmission, clutch, if axle is in low range. Sounds like your 66 has a worn spot, in the same space as it ran when you adjusted the speed for corn...could be a step on the roller ramps or the pulley sieve binding. What is surprising to me is we never had that problem...grease probably too much, not using lithium grease...Been running rotor machines since 85, gosh, thats 20 years!

boog

I have run AFs since 1982 and this is the first time we have had this experience.

IHCOMBINEMAN

get the new torque sensing cam on back of driven pulley..different angle on "v" notch..makes all the difference in the world!