Combines combine

greenstrat

there has to be a day of reckoning..I can't believe this will stay like this for much longer. I can for sure blame the folks for giving their farm to that idiot with money. Whatever it takes to get the largest dollar figure for now is now gospel.. push a tree over on your neighbor because you feel superior to him, etc.. I have dorks like this for neighbors, and it is no fun.

VAfarmboy

Have you had to do anything to those tractorsIJ That is a lot of hours. I have always been told that once a tractor has about 6 or 7000 hours on it it is worn outIJ Keeping the old stuff is probably a good idea at least you know what has been done to it. You never know what you are going to get at an auction. I have a 4230 with an MandW turbo bought at forclousure auction that was rebuilt at 2000 hours. The tractor looked really nice and had been shed kept. I have since found out from some of the previous owner's neighbors that he blew it up tractor pulling. He had the dealer rebuild it and then the moron ran it 500 hours without ever changing the oil. I have had it 14 years and have put about a thousand hours on the tractor and have had no problems with it whatsoever so Deere engines must be pretty tough. I got a really good buy on it so even if I have to rebuild it prematurely I will still have come out ok. I also have a 1978 4440 dad bought in 1979 with 100 hrs after the first owner got run over by it, it now has 3000 hrs, and I have dad's 1972 3020 bought new and it only has 3000 hrs. I also still have my dad's old Massey Harris 44 diesel, that he bought when he started farming in 1953. It have no clue how many hours are on it, because the hour meter broke 40 years ago. Dad estimates that it has about 9,000 hours on it, it was overhauled for the third time in 1971. I still use it to rake and bale hay, and run the grain auger. I doubt the prices are coming down on the new stuff, so like you I am going to keep my old stuff well maintained. The only new piece of equipment that I have bought in the last 14 years is a 15' Great plains No-till drill. I sure hope the grain prices get back up. Dad used to make a good living farming just our 200 acres. Now I farm my place and rent two other farms, and I still have to have an off farm job.

greenmachine

Nope i have never had to do anything major to any of the tractors.. The only problem I had was on the 4440 after i first got it.. One of the injectors was bad from the factory, the tractor thing had no power.. I was trying to pull 2 wagons full of beans and the stupid thing was struggling to pull them up my drive.. I hooked up the 4240 and had no problems the rest of the day.. I looked over it the following night and noticed no paint had burned off the 4th cylinder exhaust manifold area. Called the deal and they sent out a tech to replace it.. No problems since.. Just change all the fluids as recommended and keep them shedded.. I might rebuild the 4240 motor this winter, it does use just a hint of oil, or i might run it another year and rebuild or longblock it.. Not sure.. Hell i might just keep using it until the motor goes..

Ed_Boysun

Sorry to hear about losing a lease on part of your farm. I really feel for the beginning farmers in high dollar real estate areas. The CRP program has run up our real estate prices here, but land is still affordable to the guys with a big enough base of paid for land. I have a question: You mentioned spending money to avoid the IRS - I've yet to figure out how that works. When I pencil it it always comes out that I have more money left if I just pay taxes rather than wasting it so I don't have such a big tax bill. What am I missingIJ Ed in MT

deerelover

well we had the problem of either paying it in taxes or riding in a much better combine ! now you go figure which would you rather do IJ have something in the shed or in uncle sam's pocket IJ

deerelover

guys if you take good care of it .it will return take good care of you ! we have a 4020 with a turbo and been this way for 20 some years running around 140hp and has over 13000 hrs on it and still looks great and doesn't use any oil ! we also have a 4430 running over 200hp and had the fan belts changed for the first time lastyear and it has over 6700hrs on it .. been offered 15,000.00 for the 4020 and laughed at them !!!!! we farm and all of us work in factories too!and thats not right and as you can see no new equipment either !

Ed_Boysun

Machinery is a little different, but still if you are in 40% tax bracket and buy a $100K combine you will get uncle to pay for $40K of it. It still costs you $60K. The premise stated above however was to spend it on rent. If you just pay taxes on it you have $60K tax free. With the rent scenario you Spend $100K, deduct $40K. How much do you have to net before you have $60K tax freeIJ

deerelover

i see ! but we only spent 60,000 on a 1997 with low hours and it is ours ! not uncle sams ! the best thing we could do is feed ourselves and let the city slickers feed them selves ! see who lives the longest that way ! maybe they would appreciate us more IJit was a 9600 only 1100 hrs on motor and 780 on seperator!

B

You may have worn grooves in your pulley.....just run your fingers over the shining surface, and it will tell you if there is wear. If you leave it as is, the next thing will be ripped belts ....... more money! B.

Houndog

I hope you have better luck than us . But ours was sending same code And it died and would not start. Could"nt get any fuel trough pump. Dealer told us it was the rack positioning sensor. Only way to fix take pump off and send it to factory. We couldn't wait. So got new pump 2600 dollars. Runs fine now. It was on a 1990 9500.