Combines concave

guru

we found the inserts allowed a little more threshing of the straw allowing more seed to drop out ... if the seed been carried out is loose grain in the straw a few risers on the straw walker might be the go if you have not already got them...we only found the insert one out by tray testing behind the machine after every adjustment we found was not working after the inserts we placed in inserts and it was almost instant good luck happy harvesting

Farm_Kid2

We used to run the small wires in wheat, but now we run the large wires with the front one covered. I had a nice set of small wires that only had about one season on them, so I covered the front and pulled every other wire out of the rear concave and the back half of the middle concave. That kind of makes them like the large wires. We like that the best because we can do beans and milo without changing anything. However, I would keep the concaves in good shape and not let them get overly worn. I don't consider the cover plates a fix for worn out concaves, but they do let you increase the amount of threshing without going to the small wires.

Chads

We've been using cover plates for 2 years. Never change the concaves. I think we actually get a little better sample in wheat than we did before, but we made some other changes too. Definately better in beans and milo. Chads

steve_farmer

We also run large wire with cover plates. They cost about $150. You do have to take out the cocaves to mount the brackets. Marvin Gordon also sent along a filler piece that goes on the right side of the concave to fill a gap. We never take them out now. We cover the front 11_2 concaves with 3 cover plates. In wheat this really helped eliminate white caps. It was actually quite dramatic. The idea is to do more threshing the first time through the rotor. It also cut the amount of return, and thus rotor loss by not running so much grain back through the rotor. We leave them in for soybeans and that works good also, less pods in tank. I can't believe how easy it is not having to switch concaves. I also have the air jet chaffer. I am really satisfied with that too.

Colorado_Farmer

I also have the same components as the previous poster in my 91 1680 and am fairly satisfied. In wheat we do have problems getting long pieces of straw in the sample and am not sure what to do about that. Any suggestionsIJIJ

mech1

if you have a 89 year combine the inserts use the wire holes if you have a newer one the holes for inserts aretowards the middle and use a different insert, the earlier insert will have the lock wire between the large ears, the later one will have the lock wire on the back, you could have a concave that the wires weren,t removed to start with.