Combines custom harvesters

cat_man

i also heard that 66% of custom cutters that use deere wouldn't be making their payments this year. hmmh, what does that meanIJ

9880sts

why would you run Cats. there are not many left out there. Go for Fraese Brothers the have 6 9860 STS.

Bigsky

I have yet to see any custom cutters that run New Holland in our area. There is a few farmers that will do custom harvesting with their New Hollands after they are finished, but I have yet to see any that run New Hollands that are in the custom Business

Augers

That may or may not be true. My son hauls Ag products exclusively. At the current time he has a fuel surcharge, As some of you will remember this happened in the early seventies, and again in the late seventies. Crops have been planted and they will be harvested. Be it me , you or someone else, it will be combined. Anyone making payments on a combine will continue to combine the grain. You just can';t park them for a year.

NDl2

It's just like anything else they will charge more to harvest. There won't be any less combines on the harvest run than there usually is. Besides if the price of combines hasn't stopped people from buying them, then the price of fuel is not going to stop people from burning it.

gben

I am positive that the grain will get harvested. I suspect it will be a combination of the price going up, a fuel surcharge and maybe combines being harder to get and some waiting involved. I know several of the long time outfits have given it up and sold out this winter. I know somebody bought those combines but many if not most went to farmers who will put them over vastly fewer acres than they are used to going over. There will be some optomistic newbies who will strike out with a combine to make their fortune and probably a few farmers trying to make payments. It will be interesting to see just what develops, most likely not vastly different than the past several years, some drop out, some start, new bigger machines, fewer machines but maybe as much or more capacity industry wide. One thing seems certain to me, with the price of machines escalating so fast, fuel prices going up and interest rates inching up, we may see a vast change in the custom harvesting industry in the near future.

deeredude

i honestly think the hurricane katrina is the reason why fuel prices are high now. so that means the custom harvesters have to charge more per acre just to make up for the diesel prices combines dont run on air. its a sad situation, i hope things will get better in the long run.

land_Surfer

As I am told, most custom harvesters continue to be paid on 13-13-13 to 15-15-15 (per acre - per bushel - additional per bushel over avg.). These are the same fees they were charging 20-30 years ago. Why have they not kept up with inflation and forced the farmer to pay moreIJ No service provider in the history of commerce has ever allowed the buyer to set the price except for custom harvesters. The way I see it, custom harvesters must be cut throat and always will to undercut their buddy. They try to achieve greater revenue by doing more work, nothing wrong with that, but most times it isn't practicle. There comes a time where the buyer is going to have to pay for premium_consistent work peformed unless they don't care and simply want it out with or without mess. To risky for me. I'll pay 300,000+ to do my own harvesting.

weber

It is going to be a very interesting year as far as the harvesting goes. There are lots of harvest crews being forced to sell out. I believe there will be a shortage of combines just like in 1997 seemed as there wasnt enough to go around. The fuel is going to be the factor on the whole deal. If the wheat prices increase so the farmer has more available for us to raise our rates, the only sad thing is the farmer or the harvester dont make any more profit all the pass on rate is going to cover is the cost of fuel. I guess all we can do is see what happens and hope that all involved can survive another year..