Combines Deerbines Question

cowdoc

What is your opinion on a V-8 vs. 6-cylinderIJ Is a 4 speed trans and a 6-cylinder on an 860 stout enoughIJ My 750 has the older style engine. I have cut with a cousin that had a 354 turbo in his 750 and it did well. I've notice in machines with a hydro the extra power is a must. An 860 is a much larger beast than a 750 and I'm not sure that a 6 cylinder would be enough on an 860 pulling mud with a bin full of grain. Anybody's comments are welcome. We had a few guys cutting 15miles south of us this pm (I'm located 45miles NW of downtown OKC). Haven't heard of yeilds or moisture yet. We are still 7 ds away minimum if the heat will moderate some.

Deerebines

Hey Tyler You send me your rain and I'll send you my dust, hay fever, and cracks in the driveway. It is dry here in northwest_northcentral Kansas! I was wanting to ask you a question now. This 8460 you own. Tell me about it. I know absolutely nothing of those newer masseys after the 50's and 60's were discontinued. I have heard that those mercedes benz engines are quite the powerhouse and very long lived. Do you agreeIJ I'm very curious about these machines. I havn't seen any in this area and I'm sure the price tag hasn't got much to do with it. The green one's have to be higher from what I read in the fastline magazine. I didn't consider a massey again because our closest dealer is still 20 miles away and he's a royal @$$! The next dealer that is a heck of a good guy to get along with and will bend over backwards to help you out is 45 miles away. Hell of a drive when your in need of parts and NOW! I'd just like to hear your personal opinion of that combine....good points, bad points. From what I understand it's just a white rotory with the massey grey and red...........rightIJ I'm bound and determined to learn about these machines yet. Talk to you later

Deerebines

Cowdoc Funny you should mention that combination. Dad's 860 has the AT6-3544 perkins in it with the hydro transmission. No problems on the engine pulling the tranny but in real heavy wheat.....say around 60 bushel per acre on up he cannot push the combine for lack of power........honestly....I think he could keep right up with me in that 9600 then if he had the v-8 but with the 6 banger the way it is he just run's short on power. Now in typical 35 bushel to 45 even 50 bushel wheat he does just fine and I keep ahead of him by just a bit......not very much at all but enough to know I'm at the truck or grain cart more than he is. My grain tank is a bit bigger as well so maybe it's all in my head that he's keeping up with me pretty close but I will say that if you are on an average under 50 bushel per acre every year you'll get by with that hydro-6 banger combination just fine. We havn't run this setup on mud either so I cannot comment on that. Usually in the past when we ran in mud around here anyways we were dumping on half bins just keep from sinking in and tearing up the field. We just can't go when it's mud out there worth a darn. It was a bit muddy last year I guess when we ran the 860 and 9600 side by side but like I said.....we were dumping at half full bins so I just can't give you a real good answer on how it will hold up. One thing though.....if you run the v-8 expect more downtime and things to fall apart. Those engines vibrate so bad there was a guy here that had that v-8 in his 760 and it broke two injection lines. Not because there were supports in the lines missing or someone had taken them out. These two lines just plain cracked. I've heard other's tell that story as well. Also, check the fuel tank supports on those 8 bangers real close. I've heard of guys that lost the fuel tank going through the field as well because of the vibration. That's all I can think of for now. Been a long day and I'm tired.

Spark_Plug

Deerebines: The Massey 8460 is not a White combine, but its actually a Claas, i think the Claas model is 208 or something like that. As soon as the paint wears off the first thing you see is Claas green. The Mercedes engine, is a real power plant. That thing keeps going, and as far as the engine goes, we havent had any problems with it, and we bought it used. For our farm this is the ideal combine, it gets good road speed, as our farm is strung out everywhere. I would recommend this combine, but according to some of these message strings, so people have had problems with them, but the only real thing weve ever expirienced was that during cutting barley, the feederhouse wouldnt pick up the grain, and it would throw everything out over the reel, but we got that fixed, but everything else worked fine and weve had it for a couple of years now. IF you have any questions, ask anytime, id be glad to answer them. talk to you all later. Tyler Hall (spark plug) PS the rains have finnaly ended!!!!

cowdoc

Do you both run 30' headersIJ Mostly 24s in my country. Have a safe holiday.

Deerebines

Hello Kenneth Having a good memorial weekendIJ Pretty good one so far on this end. Both the 860 and 9600 we run 30' plats. Dad has a 20 footer he ran on the 750 and he puts it on the 860 for milo harvest. He also has a 15' massey header with 6 rows of hesston headhunters on it for down milo and last year he aquired a 6' 30" spacing cornhead in the anticipation that we thought we'd try and plant some corn. All this dry weather and not much moisture in sight we decided against it......least for this year. Hope your holiday is turning out well and safe for you. Have a good one.

Russ

The 8460 is the same as the Claas 108. It came out in 1989 in Massey colors with a small grain tank. In 1990 it was updated with a larger grain tank and several other improvements. It has a 669 cu. inch. Mercedes Industrial diesel engine with a very tight droop curve on the engine governor.