Combines Greenstar

Gene9750

There has been alot of changes to Greenstar systems and JD office. Houndog is going off of data from years ago. About everything he said has been changed and doesn't cause problems. Some of it is from the first year they produced systems.

gben

Just got ours on two machines last fall, Cut 3000 acres corn in 38 different fields and yield was within 40 bushels of what we hauled into elevator and fields all totaled with .2 of an acre of what ASCS measured them to be. We are sold on it. Had to download from the two machines and combine them to get every field and it proved extremely accurate and useful. Really openned up customers eyes. He thought he knew the stong and weak spots in his fields but got suprised on many of the fields. Would recommend the system to anyone.

hayman

we run one now and like it, opens your eyes to bad yield spots--how bad the lesser spot are. pain to get calibrated unless you have a cart with scales

ham

Unless you have reason to want to know exact yields, then I figure calibration isnt really necessary, and i agree... calibration is a pain, but it might depend what resources are available to you. If you are looking for weaker or better areas then it will tell you that without cal. But as another poster suggested..what to then do about that is a whole other problem.

Brodale

As the others said calibration is a problem. Since I'm not buying and selling off it I don't see that total accuracy is all that important. If you're comparing to treatments and the monitor is out 5% it will be out on both of them and the difference is still roughly the same. Unless you are going to go to variable rate inputs then mapping isn't all that important either. I question the cost effectiveness of variable rate. I believe the capital cost is to much for the benefit and in this area at least I don't think we can get variable rate fertilizer service. I wouldn't be without a monitor but their usefulness is not as cost effective as some techno junkies would have you believe.

trun

I installed a Ag leader Yield Monitor mainly for acreage and moisture readings both of those features are easy calibrations, Yield on the other hand is a different story

Wheaty1

Filled a 10000 bu. bin with corn and when we hauled it out we were within 80 bu. Acres are usually right on or within 1 or 2 acres of maps on 160 acre fields. Definitely worth it to me!