Combines Husker Harvest Days

dakota

Helmut, I was there last year and got to see all the combines picking corn.

greenbean

He could probably tell you were a heavy hitter. You probably told him you had a cat. How about the guy who went to the deere dealer and told them he was going to buy a gleaner and the deere dealer laughed at him and said it would be a mistake, then he buys it ,two years later he says its junk and wants to buy a deere and is mad because the wont deal. WHat do you think of that ole farter.

combinepro

He should have known better than to buy a gleaner. I have got galvanized trash cans out in my yard that will thresh better than that.

TwinSilvers

You should really pay closer attention to the posts. Two years ago I priced a C62 against a 9650 Conventional, and chose to buy the Gleaner due to an (almost) $28,000 price difference between the two machines. Since then, I've sold my C62 PRIVATElY (no deal or trade) and wanted to purchase a 9660 Conventional, NO TRADE! I never said the C62 was junk; - it just didn't measure-up to the Deere 9610 it replaced, and we lost our Gleaner dealer in the meantime. Since 1983, I have always owned 2 combines; - with the amount of custom-work I do, two machines make sense for me. Further, I have purchased a total of 9 Deere combines since 1981 which, in Ontario, Canada, makes me an "average buyer". I currently own an R62, which I'm very happy with, and will probably make my decision on the second machine this week. I might add that the "smart-@ss" Deere salesman got severely reprimanded for his attitude, as he and his boss made a personal visit to me last week. It seems he carries this persona with him continuously, as my neighbor deals with the dealership, but won't allow that salesman on his property. And as far as me being an "ole farter", at 52 years of age, I hope I have a few more productive years of farming; - at least another 10 years so I can "make the mortgage payments"! ;-)

greenbean

The old farter comment was meant for my friend ole farmer(see the play on words there) But I see you closed your comment with a smile so I am assuming you have a sense of humor. This whole compunction for gleaner is beyond my comprehension. I thought I wanted a gleaner one time, and it took me about 5 minutes to get over that . Other than the rock trap what are the high points sirIJ

TwinSilvers

No offense taken to the "ole fart" comment and, yes, I have a sense of "ha-ha"! The reason I stuck with keeping one Gleaner in my "fleet" of two combines was on account that I combine alot of high-moisture corn for both hog and dairy farmers in my area, and I find the rotary has traditionally done a better job at that. The Gleaner is easier to fix and the rock-trap is definitely a plus, especially in downed-corn, although the Deere's rock-trap is no slouch either. In addition, I prefer the cab and controls with the Gleaner. Finally, the Gleaner's price has traditionally been less than Deere, and I've alwyas been treated well with trade-in value. I am now deliberating between a Deere or a New Holland conventional, though I'm leaning more towards Deere, primarily because I've owned them in the past, they're about 5 or 6 thousand pounds lighter and (believe it or not) a little cheaper than the New Holland! Dealer service is about the same between the two, altohugh I have a little more faith in Deere's service abilities.

AGCOfan

Did you do business with WilkersonsIJ Shame they got out but they never did do much business. Did see a brand new RT tractor there weeks before they closed. Anyways just wondering. Take care, Nathan

TwinSilvers

Hello Nathan, I occasionally bought parts from Wilkersons, and intended to give him a chance on whole-goods the next time I was ready to buy a Gleaner. I'm not sure what happened between him and AGCO, but from what I've been told, he had a huge combine business going. Perhaps he retired; - I don't know. Do you farm near EmbroIJ

husker_gleaner

I live about 50 miles south of Husker Harvest site.Alot of combines running not to many crews.

Silver_Bullet

There will be a few farmers harvesting corn in the area, (it is a little early some years). Just stop at a field and ask for a ride. Most of them will stop and be happy to give you a ride. Welcome to Nebraska, (in advance). We're pretty friendly up here!