Combines Next Generation Gleaner Idea

Rolf_Hedt

One of the many reasons that Gleaner are becoming popular is that they are SIMPlE

Combineman

I know that capacity seems to be the talk of the town when it comes to combines. Everybody wants more, faster, bigger, etc. If you want more then you are going to have to buy more.....trucks, grain carts, driers (corn) put in a bigger pit and leg all to keep the crop away. If you haul it to town, then it's even worse. The lines are already too long. More trucksIJ Most of these elevators were built along time ago and believe me, I've been to alot of them. They can only move so much crop. There is no sence going 7-8-9 mph in the field only to have to wait on carts and trucks all the time. Even the "lowly" John Deere which many of you seem to look down upon, can keep several semis and carts running in 200 bu._ac corn. We had 4 of those "lowly" Deeres in such a corn field and believe me, it was almost a wreck. We needed a traffic cop to direct the semis that were lined up down the road. Then eveybody else at the elevator was mad at us because we was making the lines that much longer with the 9 semis we had running. Yea, Big impresses me but where will it endIJ CM

Tom

The 6273 version means that as standard equipment it has auto reel speed, tailings return to cyl, 3 concave filler strips, and a straw chopper. Any other equipment that it has has been a factory or field installed option. The decal you see is wheat and I believe mylo. The corn decal is with a picture of soybeans and is on the 6274, 6275, 6276, 6277 which are the corn-soybean_ wheat mylo versions. This is according to the 1998 price book but there were a couple changes a few years back so what you have for standard 6273 ver may be differant. Tom

Dan

Tom,I have got to tell you that I have had countless nights with little sleep thinking about a wider feeder and than a split flow at rotor to decrease distance to discharge. That was before we figured out how to get all that straw up that narrow feeder and that cylinder bars needed to extended to discharge and beyond. If they ever did split the flow to the right I may be able to use up my palet full of reverse bars especially if they forget to run the bars all the way to discharge. I think a couple of these changes would easily get Gleaner into a class 8, 9, or 10 class with minimum additional horsepower. Keep on a dreaming!!!!!! Dan

Brian

Rolf,I agree with you 100% in that I think Agco should concentrate their efforts on improving the performance of their current machines as well as their durability. There is always room for improvement.I am not complaining about their current machines, we've had good luck. Our R60 (P1, stock) can easily do what a brand new 9600 can do in corn, anyday. I know that the new Gleaner make ours look silly.Gadgets are great but I don't like the price that comes with it. I've test driven the Cat lexions and yes, they have quite a machine to say the least. It was truely awesome. However (even as an owner of a Cat tractor) I'm not the least bit interested in owing one of those machines. I'll take my Gleaner any day as long as they keep it simple! And of course most importantly for me, Gleaner should keep the price of their machines as low as possible. Currently, they don't seem to be much cheaper than the other brands; not like they used to be.Brian