Combines Overheating

NDDan

No problem with QSCs as long as radiator is fairly clean. Don't know if radiator is bigger than the latest mechanical pump machines. A couple things likely help to keep it cooler. One would be air to air intercooler and the other electronic controled injection. First QSCs didn't have the spinner between the oil, fuel, a-c condensor assembly so it could cake over with chaff. The spinner took care of 90% of that. Only thing I would check over if you were to purchase one of them machines is the gap from rotary screen saw tooth blades to side panel. This gap needs to be as close as possible all the way around to keep chaff out. Some side panels have enough of a bow to create enough gap to have to much clearance. Close this clearance up in what ever manner you choose. Oh yea I had a couple early QSC machines where radiator box opening to rotary screen was a bit to tall so top seal didn't seal tight. I welded in 1_2 to 1" filler to close up box a bit. I would bet that the machines in corn soybeans aren't as particular as the machines in chaffy wheat conditions. Have a good one.

DP_in_ND

I have a 95 R72 was getting a lot of chaff in rad DAIlY. I checked screen clearance like Dan said did not help, then I took a 2in flat iron and put it over the top of screen from about 10 oclock to 2 oclock and my chaff problem was gone. Dale

NDDan

Rotary screen enhancement kit mentioned earlier does pertain to the approx. prior to '00 R72s with liquid engines. It will help prevent the chaff from coming off rotary screen at the bottom in dead area and then jumping right back on and around the screen many times. The less times it can come around the less times the rotary screen has to deal with it. In what you did sure points out spot at which chaff can sneak in. How did you install itIJ Did you bend circle out of the 2" iron from 10:00 to 2:00 and tack weld in close to sawtooth bladesIJ How far from bladesIJ Thanks

willie

Before doing all this chech what type of rad you have.There are angle core ,wave core and straight core rads.I know agco updated rads on 1998 and 1997 R72s to straight core rads from wave and angle core. The wider the core the better,should be able to put your pinky in between cores. Just my 2 cents.

NDDan

Thanks for phone call Dale. I will try welding some 1"x1" angle iron to 2" flat iron and bolting in 1_2" from sawtooth blades from 10:00 to 2:00 position. This sounds like a very easy process to help keep the chaff out of radiator. I can't stand blowing out radiators so the cleaner they stay the longer the better. Thanks again and we'll give it a try.