Combines Problems feeding wheat into feeder throat

Farmer_Ed

We are going to give it a try the way it is. Today was not a good combining day so if the rain holds off and the sun comes out we will be going. Does anyone know about how long (avg.) it takes to change a rotor belt (for the first time!) on a 1660IJ Also someone mentioned you need a special tool, but someone else said you don't need the special bracket. Also do you think other "generic" belts are as good as the ones you can buy from the dealerIJ Well this is about it for now. Good luck everyone.

SDman

Ed, figure about 2.5-3 Hours on the first one. Unfortunately, a 40 or 60 series combine is a lot more difficult(in my opinion) that the 80 Series. The main reason- the 40_60 Series are a lot more compact up in that area than the 80s. There are 3 areas that that belt JUST squeezes by with no room to spare(trust me, you will find them when you go to put it on). Yes, you need the torque sensor spring compression tool-your combine came with 1 from the factory, but it has probably gotten lost somewhere(don't feel too bad, most older combines don't have one anymore). Also, if its a late model 1660 you will need a different tool than the earlier ones did unless someone has retrofitted the new style torque sensor on it. As far as belt quality, there are 2 different belts at your Case dealer. Think the better one is $30 more or so. After you do this job, you will see why you want the best one available, especially if you are out here in central SD right now changine one when its 105 degrees and working around a HOT engine. Good luck, Ed!

ic1480

Farmer Ed. First of all, there are NO stupid questions. Second, I just found this site, and wished I had about six months ago before having pchased my 1680, which is the third 80 I have purchased. let me give you just a little tidbit of advise that has helped me alot when it comes to rotor belts. DON'T GO CHEAP!!! It just isn't worth it. Next, if its preventative maintanence your performing with the rotor belt, save yourself some down time. Put the brand new belt on, but, take the old one in question and use plastic zip tyes to fasten it securly around the rotor speed adjustment mechanism. This way when you blow the new rotor belt it will only take about three minutes to have another one on and be back in the wheat. I am sure after having changed the first one back in July you understand what I am talking about, and thinking to yourself now, "Why didn't I think of thatIJ" Well, at least thats what I said after changing many belts on very hot days. Eric