Combines R 50

John

I went from an M2 to an N6 and was very happy but read here regularly and find that all of the Deutz machines have parts supply problems. The AC or AGCO don't so I would pass on a Deutz machine just because I might not be able to get the parts today, tomorrow or next week like the old AC and newer AGCO machines, the F_M_l3 under Deutz don't tend to have the parts problem, just the 50_60_70's.

Wade

Your 2-cents may have changed my opinion. Frustration with the R50 is definitely the overheating. It is more capable when both are running, but often it is idling to cool it down. Engine is very clean, with no oil leaks, but fan blade tips do have some erosion. The fan measures to still be within specs but probably needs replaced ($600). If the overheating problem was corrected, I would definitely prefer the R50 (who likes little straw bales anyhowIJ). Any suggestions about the overheating - prior to spending the money for a new fanIJIJ

Silver_Bullet

I would second Wade's comments and be a little leary of a machine that has set for 3 years.

T__langan

Wade - We traded a '90 R50 for an R52 last year. We never had a lick of trouble with overheating of the Deutz engine - have Cummins now, it's a beast, but if we had a choice, we'd have stuck with Deutz. Double check your fins to make sure they aren't clogged with dust_straw. Clean oil cooler very well - they rely heavily on oil to do cooling and a plugged oil cooler just may cause her to get hot (engine, not your wife!). Plugged oil coolers are a common thing on these. Fan may so need replacement. With apologies to the AGCO dealers on here, I'd also look elsewhere for Deutz engine parts - have heard they are much cheaper through other channels. You can also get long straw from that 50 that compares very well from straw out of your l2. We went from an M3 to that R50 - learned some tricks and soon where producing very similar straw to a conventional. Make ABSOlUTElY sure there are NO reverse bars on the rotor - they are murder on straw and horsepower. Replace them all with forward bars. We also have found that running at full capacity will make longer straw - keeps things moving through faster. When we hit areas of short grain or downed grain and can't keep our machine running at full capacity, it will break straw up more than normal. Don't be afraid to make that 50 earn her keep! Any of the other mods discussed here (extended bars, helical work, etc) will result in longer straw too - anything to make material move through in an orderly fashion instead of bunching up or tumbling around in there. Trust me, quality straw can be had behind a Gleaner rotary with very little tweaking. Click on the link below to see a pic I took last winter of the straw we were using from our 52.

Deadeye

If you run on any sidehills the R50 will be a big improvement. If it is set right you can run as fast on side hills as on level ground, that will flood the down hill side on a l2. I have not had any problems with the motor. last year I ran in 100 degere temps with high humidity and never had a problem with the motor running hot. Ran far better than water cooled were running. Also Grain quality will be much better and loss in corn is much less. There will be no more small kernnals left on the tips of the cobs, they do add up.

Dan

I don't know what parts people are tring to get for Deutz powered machines with no luck. We have had no problem what so ever getting parts. We have priced Deutz engine parts direct from a Deutz engine distrubuter and find little to no advantage. You do see them advertize some extremely attractive prices on some things but they have never been the proper parts for the combine engines. I know that some Deutz parts are shocking in price and would still recommend to check another source if it seems out of line. If Agco is high for the same part you need to have the partman fill out a report and let Agco know. We have had the price dropped on numerous idems when we brought it to Agco's attention. I bought some Cummins parts the other day from Cummins and fell over when I got the ticket.

T__langan

We ran a 15' on an R50 with no problem. It would obviously handle a larger head, but 15' works too.