Combines rebuilding 860

corncob

I live in So. Illinois and grow corn and soybeans.This past summer I replaced the concave in our 850 with 4000 hrs. on it and WOW did it make a completely new aggresive animal out of it. I know what yiu are saying thou about M.F. concaves durability but they do loose there edge.At this point i dont know if i did the right thing by buying a new concave off a short line co. or should have rebuilt my orignal concaveIJ ANYONEIJIJIJIJ I am going to call your man though and see what he has to say though. looking foward to putting this 860

terry

Deerebines, I'm glad to hear your thoughts and comments, its fun to put down words and humor and yes, sarcasim on a note like this Talk Show! I have a good friend, who is still a custom harvestor that told me that a John Deere could have twice the hours of a Massey and be in about the same overall condition. This was the early 80's when we had this conversation, and I know that since then all makes have made many improvements. Really, I am leaning to Deere for the next combine because I have many friends that I can bother for advice on them!! Terry

bfarm

I had a 760 6cyl hydro, vibration problem when I bought it.A little diggig found that this problem was common in MF and White combines with perkins power.The out put shaft from the motor to the main drive sheave assembly is the trouble spot.It seem that where a pilot bearing would be if it had a clutch is just a bored unbushinged hole, so as time wears on the machine the flex from the power transmitting wears the non-hardened output shaft.So both the flywheel and the output shaft have made them selves a big hole.To repair is painful as the output tube and sheaves have to come out to remove the flywheel and powershaft , both have to be machined for snug fit possibly with a bushing to provide a wear surface.This would explain why there was vibration whether the separator was engaged or not.

bfarm

I had a 760 6cyl hydro, vibration problem when I bought it.A little diggig found that this problem was common in MF and White combines with perkins power.The out put shaft from the motor to the main drive sheave assembly is the trouble spot.It seem that where a pilot bearing would be if it had a clutch is just a bored unbushinged hole, so as time wears on the machine the flex from the power transmitting wears the non-hardened output shaft.So both the flywheel and the output shaft have made them selves a big hole.To repair is painful as the output tube and sheaves have to come out to remove the flywheel and powershaft , both have to be machined for snug fit possibly with a bushing to provide a wear surface.This would explain why there was vibration whether the separator was engaged or not.

bfarm

corncob

When looking at a MF combine in trying to see how much grain has been through them i look at thee following. sharpness of augers,sharpness of sprockets,wear of sheet metal under unloading auger,wearbar in front of concave,wear of concave,walkers orignalIJ or newIJ,bearing block tightness,tightness of sieve louvers,wear plates on clean grain elevator and tube,slack in rear beater keyway and shaft (by rocking),see if shaker pan is cracked ,broken or rusted through,botton of chopper for metal fatigue, run the machine in gear and lay hand on machine and feel for viberations, and of course appearances tell you alot about past care. Good luck in finding you an 860 to nuture back to health and use, as with most combines they all do a good job when properlly maintained and set even if they are 20 years old,BUT hey they are PRICED RIGHT WHEN COMPAREED TO A lATE MODEl MACHINE and if your handy with a wretch and torch it will save you THOUSANDS!