Combines Red or Green

big_b

Fonz I have ran red for 20 years. I wood like to try 9650 sts. I have corn,soybeans,wheat. Is the settings on the 9650 about like setting a 2388

skinnyfarmer

I am not familiar with a 1660 but I can tell you that a 9500 will not be underpowered with a 25 foot header.

JimB

The used green ones cost more to buy but also sell for more when your ready to deal. I am wondering what the red ones will bring next year or two years down the road when CNH starts to sort out who the dealers will be.

JimB

JD 9650 sts - easy choice - both good machines - STS has a bit more capacity.

JFarms

A 1660 from the factory was a bit doggy. Have your dealer turn the pump up so it is putting out about 14lbs of exhaust pressure and you won't know the machine back. Doesn't hurt the engine or economy and gives you dramatically more performance. JFarms

WFE9720

The Case is a proven machine with very good reliability. Fairly easy and forgiving to set also. The Deere STS, my experiences as well as other custom guys I've spoken with, is quite difficult to set to do the same job as the Case. Also has a lot of reliability bugs to work out yet. Not trying to bash Deere, but they tried to reinvent the wheel and made it WAY too complicated. MHO is they should have learned from Gleaner and Massey that simpler is better. The R62 will outperform both the Case and the Deere too in power, capacity, grain quality, and losses in the majority of conditions. You are doing yourself a disservice if you don't consider it unless your dealer is too far away.

cutter2388

Well I would go for the best price, best dealer support, Both brands of combines are a good machine as far as that goes all brands of combines are good ones all it takes is the right person who takes pride in his work to set them and operate them properly and they will all to a very good job. I myself have a 2188 and a 2388, but have teamed up with friends from time to time with all brands of harvesters and granted some have better features then others but thats life. I will say that the R-72s could eat up more grain then I could. The Tr-98s I run with were fairly similar. I would get the one what fits your operation in the way you need it to then set out to satisfy yourself and let all the acre eaters and seeders say what they want to about their harvesters according to them they have the best machine made. But honestly the best machine is the one with the right person behind the wheel....

cutter2388

Being the fact that it is a 92 model yes it does have a cummins motor in it probably rated at 210 ponies.. I used to hav a 89 model 1660 and horsepower wasnt much of an issue