Combines Reel Speed

Hyper_Harvest_II

Curt, Any external leaks around the reel variable speed sheavesIJIt would not take much of a leak,even some drips would allow sheaves to open up slightly and allow reel to slow down.

Dan

I would lean toward the poppet and seat for either the slower or faster solinoid. The piston for reel varible is smaller than the one for corn varible and static pressure in the line may be running higher with the straight head hooked up. What I'm trying to say is don't rule out the poppets just because you are not noticing the corn varible slowing up. Also be sure the anti-magnetic washers are in place like Hyper mentioned.

tbran

open console door at your right foot. Inside locatee black box and white knob that reads "min speed" and turn ccw to lower the min speed. The other knob is for course speed adj. Knob on panel is fine speed adj.

DGJ

This is something i have had trouble with on a 1460, but over here in the UK the whole pump and electric motor was to change and they were after over 1000. I already had a raven fast valve and 660 for the seed drill so i hooked up the raven valve, the 660 in the cab and now i have a reel that speeds up and down with ground speed, you can also programme in a second speed under the rate 2 switch and when you get to a lodged part of the crop you flick the switch to rate 2 and it speeds up to a preset point. luckily the only extra cost to me was a rev sensor for the reel. It would be possible to plumb in some kind of manual speed control but make sure it's a flow divider not a restrictor.

Farmer_Ed

We have a 1660 (1989) and it sure is a dream machine!!! Needless to say we had the same trouble that you are describing. Went through the same steps and I was going to replace the pot control in the dash but after it tested okay, I found the problem to be the wires running from the cab connection to the feederhouse. I simply checked the wires and found the ground on the feederhouse was loose. Tightened it up and it's been flawless since!!! Good luck, let me know if you need more help troubleshooting! -Ed

Ham

Check out the sensor and wiring at the end of the reel. Probably right side. Our STS didnt have the bracket tightened properly, and the drive gear "climbed" the driven gear forcing the sensor wheel into the sensor pickup. Ours was warranty, but I doubt it is on a 9500 Ham in South Australia

ready

romove the black control box and clean around the seal and try to rotate the valve shaft until it seems to rotate freely back and fourth hope this helps

ibleedgreen

Use a crescent wrench to help the adjuster rotate on top of the black control box on the left hand side of the machine, just above eye level while standing behind the drive wheel. Have someone in the cab running the switch in both directions. The machine does not have to be running, just have the key in the on position. Be careful because it doesn't rotate as far as one would think. When it begins to loosen up, soak around the top with penetrating oil. We do this every year on our 9500 before we ever head to the field.

tedbear

As others have mentioned, the valve may have partially seized. This happened to me at the start of the bean harvest. The reel speed worked fine until we washed the combine. Apparently the valve rusted and would not turn freely. We could see that the motor was "trying" to turn the valve but wasn't able to break it loose. We removed the motor, oiled up the valve and reinstalled it. The reel speed worked fine after that. Apparently this is quite common. On another board, I read where an operator was complaining that his reel speed was erratic. It turned out that he also had an optional third party spreader attached to the combine. He had the spreader running quite slowly which caused surges in the hydraulics which was evidenced in the reel. The solution in this case was to speed up the spreader.

Midiowa

You can replace the seal kit in the valve in just a few minutes, if it is sticking. Cost for the kit is about $10.