Combines Skunk Plucker looks like a keeper

johnboy

plowboy you make a good point about how little we are getting for our produce.we also dairy farm and just recieved a 40 percent cut in our milk price yet suppermarkets and shops have put up their prices 20 cents per litre in the last 12 months.my dad reckons that he made more out his massey 750 in 1976 then we do now with three combines in real terms.john

SilverTurnedGreen

Actually, I found out (a few years ago) that my second operator would set the tool box on the seat of my 9600 (in soys) to keep the feeder activated while he "cherished a special moment" on the porch!

col

Hey there Plowboy, I wish that the public here actually valued what we do but unfortunately it's far from the truth, we are being seen more and more as "park keepers" nowadays, and with the higher population density we have over here there is scarcely a day goes by without a complaint from a "concerned member of the public". As far as grain prices go feed wheat (which is the majority of production here) is being talked down to 60-70 per tonne for harvest uplift (august) we store all of our grain and then sell in the winter, spring, early summer in order to gain some premium and we also attempt to grow milling wheats. Two or three years ago grain was trading at twice this level and prices for Canola have also halved in this period. A lot of this is due to the weakness of the Euro currencies against sterling which means our goods are discounted heavily when selling to our european "brothers", the best bet this year may be to go for export to countries that would trade in dollars (or a currrency collapse). One bright side is that Claas combines are cheaper this season than before our new 460 will cost under 130,000.