Combines Update on R60 engine trouble

John

Direct from the DA Dealers Brochures when the DA Gleaner was put out and from AC when the N and R were put out and from the current Agco Brochures. The R60 cage was closed down to the N_R 5 size according to DA literature. The N_R 5_6_7 all had the same rotor size with the 5 missing the front feed auger and part of the cage covered. It looks like in the DA brochures that the 60 was also closed off, but still having the front feed auger. The 70 clearly is an equal to the N_R 6_7.

johnboy

john we have had a N7 series3,aR60 and a R72 and the 7 and the 60 were close in capacity ( the motor was rerated to apx.260hp by the former owner).Where the 72 really gets going is in heavy ground conditions and green or ropey crops.We would blow the R60 motor down each day but i spent the same amount of time on the water-cooled engines and these machines run in very hot conditions.Maybe the next model will have the radiator air intake setup better for dusty and trashy conditions.john

Tom_Russell

Do you have part numbers of those brochuresIJ They are on the bottom of the last page where you will also see date. I have a fairly complete set of combine literature from the past 25 years and I dont recall seeing anything like you describe. Tom in MN

John

Tom, AED1131-8703 R50 The N5 has a 25x90 rotor with 6639 total cleaning area, the R50 has a 25x67.9 rotor and 3979 total cleaning area. N info from AED 776-8012 The N5_6_7 have identical rotor size with the N5 closing off part of the cage. The R60 has the larger rotor 25x88 of the 70 but less cage area and the same total cleaning area of the R50 at 3979 AED1131-8704. The R 70 has slightly less cleaning area than the N_R7,and they have marginally less than the 72. Now is this Deutz playing with numbers or are they actually less capacity. The Agco R's actually have larger total cleaning area @4705 for the 42_52 and 7187 for the 62_72, Partn79017675. I do know that the N_R 5 can be uncovered for more cage area, but they don't have the front auger that the 6_7 have. Now do I have a misprint or is Deutz playing with numbers or what is going onIJ An almost 2700 SqIn drop in total cleaning area in the N_R5 to the R50 is substantial in my book as is the cage area of the R60. Agco definitely put the 62 back to the N_R6 standards plus with cage area and total cleaning area. The R70 and the N5_6_7 and the R72 were very similar with rotor 25x90 and 25x88 and equal cage areas and improved total cleaning area.

MHarryE

I might be able to help you with those numbers. I worked for Gleaner until mid-1989 and part of my job was putting those numbers together. ASAE more clearly defined what exactly constituted cleaning area, separating area, etc. late 70's thru the 80's saw big changes in combines and historical references got out of date. Also, we were adding cage covers to solve some cage sweep problems, perforating the discharge floor, etc. The main changes in separation and cleaning between the R6 and R60, R7 and R70, were adding extra separating area due to the perforated floor area, and R6 to 60 horsepower increase from 220 to 228. If you can find a copy of AED 1116-8611, it will show all the changes that were made in 1987 along with introducing the Deutz engines. Although Deutz bought the company, none of the Engineering or Marketing staff changed and Deutz did not influence what we published (although obviously they strongly influenced engine selection)

MHarryE

I might be able to help you with those numbers. I worked for Gleaner until mid-1989 and part of my job was putting those numbers together. ASAE more clearly defined what exactly constituted cleaning area, separating area, etc. late 70's thru the 80's saw big changes in combines and historical references got out of date. Also, we were adding cage covers to solve some cage sweep problems, perforating the discharge floor, etc. The main changes in separation and cleaning between the R6 and R60, R7 and R70, were adding extra separating area due to the perforated floor area, and R6 to 60 horsepower increase from 220 to 228. If you can find a copy of AED 1116-8611, it will show all the changes that were made in 1987 along with introducing the Deutz engines. Although Deutz bought the company, none of the Engineering or Marketing staff changed and Deutz did not influence what we published (although obviously they strongly influenced engine selection)