Combines wheat settings

Dan

Good points Rolf. As always it great to have your insite from down under. I might note that some of our wheat will thresh on its way to cylinder and some you need to run threw a 25" cylinder with eight rows of bars spinning at 1100RPM over a 13 check bar concave at zero clearance with 5 filler bars and run it through twice. What I'm tring to say is wheat will sometimes thresh perfecly at setings for corn or soybeans and then there is the so called hibred where bars need to click concave.

Dan

Of course good accelerator rolls are best in most conditions. If we were talking heavy edible beans and a person was leaving all rolls in I would prefer they be completely shot. The lighter the seed, they lighter the yeald, the steeper the hill, the more important to have rolls in good condition. I've put my requist into Gleaner to make them varible speed sometime. I think us flatlanders could save wear and tear amoung other things if we could slow them up. I wish we could share some water with you for we have just barely got in the field and water standing all over the place. Hoping for a dry week or three hear!!!!

Dan

I hope you got your bars extended to discharge if not allready done. I can't remember installing any return to cylinder on 62-72's for all our machines allready have it. It was easy to do on the R50's and early 52's but don't know about later machines but should be easy. R60-70 and prior machines were a major job. I would strongly recommend dual return for you can easily set to rethresh or just reclean.

Dan

For sure some bailers will work better with rotary straw than others. We don't need a lot of straw for bales around hear. The guys that do will pull spreader early on in the day. We'll have conditions here where even the rotarys (any brand) will leave a nice windrow to bail even if they have factory choppers. It's crazy the vast amount of crops and conditions a combine is expected to work well in with minimum adjusting or changing of components. Do you have discharge beater or chopperIJ Remember that a discharge beater WITHOUT knotched blades outward can cause rotor constipation thus HP consumption and ground straw. let us know how you do in your conditions and if you need more whole straw there may be other options on the horizon.

Ed_Boysun

While we're on the subject of improvements to the Acc. rolls, let's not forget to keep hounding our friends at AGCO to put the bearing flangettes for the Acc. rolls on the OUTSIDE!! of the machine. What is now a major pain to change bearings would turn into a minor job. Ed in Montana

MN_Dean

Yes I have extended the helicals and cylinder bars with 4 paddle-bars and 4 to the end. I took out the reverse bars and replaced with disrupters(discharge paddle back-ups sharpened and cut down to bar height).I also extended the helical across the feeder opening and layed a cut down chrome 9500 JD bar in the belly. The reason I think I need the return to cylinder is last fall in seed soybeans I had days where I was cracking the dry ones and smashing the wet ones. The average moisture was 14%.I needed to keep the clearance down and the speed higher to get most of the wet unthreshed pods out.

Dan

I agree and I'm sure I've mentioned that to them a couple times. Seems like they were on the way to make complete roll or distribution auger extremely easy to remove and then ran short of time to get it done. Some guys like it the way it is because they can switch nearby bearings easy when doing one that went out or if they just replace because they are getting up there in hours. Myself I'd say get them on outside or copy the way they did the distribution augers on early rotarys. If there was only an ez way to get an engineers attention with out ticking them off. By the way a lot of the accelerator roll bearings we have failed now have flanges on the outside. I'll keep your voice in mind when I get their attention.

Dan

Oh my it's going to be fun to hear your report when you get going. Maybe you could of installed filler bars and closed up front of concave to get them hard to thresh ones while keeping cylinder speed low. Speed it likely main reason for cracked but I realize you needed speed also to get tough crop threw non-hypered machine. I would be biting the bullet and installing dual return kit if I were you.