Combines your opinion

alan

NHDon, Funny you should bring up the Farm Show magazine article. I read that last week and was suprised by some of the loyal deere comments toward there machines. It sounds like the 9600 was the best deere combine made. I thought the 9610 was the same as a 9600 with a different sticker and a few small changes. But in the article that was probably the worst combine deere has made. The reason is because of lots of break downs. Thanks for reading and responding.

claas4ever

Alan,I believe that Claas made the 8570 for Massey Ferguson, have always heard good things about that Massey model, the only question sometimes is the Perkins engines that were used, is it Turbo-chargedIJIf it is you have to pay close attention to the air cleaner elements, cleaning them out every 50-75 hours in wheat and beans and every 75-100 hours in corn.Also religous oil changes.Good luck,have a safe and bountiful harvest!!!!

alan

claas4ever, I believe that you are thinking of the 8460 massey combine. It was made by claas and had the mercedes motor. The 8570 was from the white design. Massey ferguson added there final drives and other updated features.

gunner

The first successful self propled combine was made in 1923. It was made by the baldwin brothers. They named it GlEANER.

dakota

Thanks mx270 and gunner for the info. You have made me quite curious. I will dig into this some more and let you know what I find out.

jp

I read that too in my history of Caterpillar book. Holt made those combines way back around the turn of the century, they were huge things. When he and Best got together to make the tracked machines, they got rid of the combines, Deere got them. If you look in the history of John Deere book (the first one in that series of two) it goes into great detail describing these Holt machines before Deere got them.

NHD

I can understand some of the problems the 9610's are having. The added horsepower allows them to put more stuff thru and consequently more wear. Also all brands are experiencing this. The mfg's are slow to come around to stainless steel or at least wear resistant metal. The computor software they all use in their design work doesn't take the wear factor into consideration either. JD is really not a competitor when it comes to improvements.

hv_user

You'r right, but MASSEY desigded the WHITE 9720. MASSEY should have used it first, instead they picked it up after WHITE died.