Combines 1020 not cutting close enough

sharecropper

Run your header as high as you can with out the skids lifting off the ground. As the cutterbar pivots the radis is short enough that it lowers the tips of the guards. Also tipping the face plate back will give you more vertical movement of the cutter bar as opposed to the tipped forward position which limits the movement as in tipping a yard stick forward ie the total height. Some times I think mine cuts to low but don't want to mess up a good thing. This should help on trash pushing as this will flatten out the front angle of the skids. Good luck

highpockets

If you haven't put a spring on the right side to put constant up pressure on the indicator rod I would suggest a tarp strap will do the trick.There are plates on this rod under the platform that only have gravity to hold them down.Open the end cover and fasten a tarp strap or bunge to the rod and hang it from somewhere higher. It WIll help keep the head lower.

Brian

I just bought a 2188 with 1020 25 ft head and I have the tarp strap on mine and it is working great.The mechanic from the dealership said that he puts one on everyone he works on.

Farm_Kid2

Here's a way to make your 1020 cut closer without spending a dime. Move your front final drives down so that the machine is in the "high" position. This will make the feederhouse run lower, which will tilt the head foreward and result in the cutterbar being lower to the ground. You can then move the rear axle down to keep the machine level. However, we have really good results running the rear end even higher than level. Mike

Anteater6788

The leaf springs need to be set so that with the head on the ground they will bring the cutterbar about a 1_4" off the ground. The ends can be a little tighter at a 1_2-3_4" off the ground.

farmert

on a 1600 2100 2300 combine the picture frame needs to be 10 degrees forward while cutting in the field I think your springs sound a little tight while it is up you should be able to lift it fairly easily I hope this helps

ihman

Farmertony I have the picture frame tilted the way the manual says it should be and I'm assuming that it is 10 degrees forward. I looked at a couple other combines (axial flow) and there set the same way. thanx for replying If you have any other ideas let me know Brad

ihman

farmtony I agree I beleive that my springs are a little tight, I went to local dealer today and looked there springs and there set looser than mine are. My picture frame I beleive is set at 10 degrees at least it is set according to the manual. thanx for replying Brad

farmert

the back of the header needs to be at 10 degrees in the field I always like to see the back up a aways also if the sprigs are shiney on the bottom the header is sensing off them and not the cutter bar