Combines header control

tbran

The header only has to have a kit 71379025 the best I remember. We have put a 500 head on a Smartrac. A couple hundred bucks US.IJ You must be talking about the combine portion at that price. I don't know if I would do it or not. The only advantage is you can set sensitivity as to movement required to activate the header valve as well as the height of the header - not the cutting height. It can be programed with a laptop as well. The old style has been very reliable as a whole. What is your problem area. SensorsIJ (Do you have one or twoIJ - the two sensor setup works better. You should have the harness all you need is the RH Switch) Combine electricalIJ We sell a few of the three spring sensors ever year, we also sell the potentiometers as well. They get damaged too.

Bill

Yes I am talking about the combine portion as well. Apparently there is a full kit to change the header as well as the controls in cab. My R52 is a 96 model. The problem is that since day one there never really has been three positions for the header in float position; only really one and that is the mid position. When i am doing soys in rocky fields it would be nice to to have the high position so I would gather fewer rocks. As well when the soys are short the flatter position would be very nice. I was told by dealer that the three position control has never really been very good but maybe that is just my dealer. I'm not sure what the potentiometer is.

mo_farm

Have you tried adjusting the turnbuckle down by the 3 springsIJ Also might check and make sure the all wires are connected properly. I have seen them get dirty and not make good contact. I had an old 300 series head with the 3 spring set up and it worked as good as my 800 series does now.

Jeff

You can bend the springs to make them contact at different heights. Also make sure they are clean by runing a file over them, be carfull not to blow the fuse. The adjustability of the 800 is nice but I would not spend the money for the upgrade.

Tom_Russell

Bill, I totally agree with you. My 525 head has never had all 3 positions working at one time. I have tried setting it and the dealer expert worked on it for a while. His advice was 2 working positions is about all I could expect the same as my 315 head.

Tom_Russell

Are you guys saying the new style control to replace the 3-spring switch isnt worth about $200IJ

Brian

Absolutly no reason why 3 posistion shouldn't work! We've had great luck with our flex heads over the years. Keep the switches clean and "bent" in proper posistion. I know OSHA wouldn't approve but we run machine with everything engaged at low idle and "play" with switches until working properly. The switch on left hand side is the trickiest with the belt running the wobblebox in the way.

T__langan

The $200 that tbran spoke about is just to convert the head - the rest of the $$ is for the new HHC module for the combine itself. We had to convert our 800 head to the OlD spring style control to match up with the '93 R52. We looked into converting the combine to the new style but figured the high price wasn't worth it for all the more bean acres we cut. We've always had good luck with the 3-spring control and always have had all three positions work. The potentiometer controls for the new style HHC and wire harness are sitting in a box in our shop in case we ever trade up to a newer model.

Bill

Thanks to all who are participating in this discussion. It sounds to me like I should play around with the 3 spring setup some more rather than spend the big dollars that probably would work better but maybe not $2200 better. T langan is right ....the largest portion of the $2200 is spent in the combine itself not the header. And don't forget those are Canadian dollars....American probably $13-1400.