Combines 1440 started cutting beans today help

mid_west

I assume that you are running a conventional and not a specialty rotor. The first thing I would do is open up the left side and look at the vanes that are over the grates, if they're not advanced, you could try changing the angle on them (this may not be easy if you've ever put a rock or something thru, also on a combine this old the vanes could be worn off or flat) this will get the stuff out of the combine quicker, while you have that door open there are devices called disrupters (disrupters will stop the crop from "roping around the rotor) these mount to the inside of the grates, are there any of these on your combineIJ Then I would speed up the rotor, I'd speed it up til I started splitting a few beans(put it in high range if you have to). Also, did you remember to set up the pan that is under the beater that takes the trash of the rotor and puts it out the back. And I would not drop my concaves too much as this will let stuff set on them. This is all I can think of right now, good luck.

mid_west

Also, you should look up in the back of the combine at the beater pan, it should not be bowed down much or this will let trash set on it. If you are in the path of that big storm I would hire somebody to combine 50 bu._acre beans rather mess around going 1.5 mph. my 2 cents.

nebraska_farmer

why not wait awhile longer for stems to dry up a bitIJ

Cott

Thanks for the responses, yes it is a standard rotor and no we do not have any disrupters. We are trying to go ahead and get them out because there is a .40+ cent premium this week and next at our elevator. There is really no one in our area that is set up to cut beans right now so as it stands its just us and the 1440. Should I be disappointed with this performance in these conditions. Thanks Stan

mid_west

You should not be disappointed about the performance, what you are up against is modern soybeans genetics and a combine that was built over 20 years ago. I think that disrupters would help alot, but it sounds too late for that. So the easy thing to do is change the vanes if you can (this isn't a bad job, just a little dusty in there) and speed up the rotor.

jakebird

You should get more capacity out of that combine. I run a 20ft 1020 on my 1440 that we run beside a 1660 in beans. I've combined 40+ bushel beans at 2.5 to 3.5 depending on the stems, we rarely combine before a frost here in south dakota. I would make sure that your pan under the beater is up, and also run the disrupters, they really help chew up the stems. Make sure that you are tightening up the concaves and not loosening them, as tightening will allow better flow, also as the others have said make sure that your veins are in good shape. I also put in green maize bars (serrated) in the grate section, instead of the smooth bars to help move grain through. These are available at any cih dealership. You should get more capacity out of that (old) machine, and besides power i doubt a new 2366 would have more than about 20 percent more capacity.

west_illini

What condition are you cylinder bars in. We replaced ours last year and it made a world of difference. YOu can replace them with the rotor in the machine

Cott

Well thats our problem, usually our group 5 beans do not mature till october, and we usually get our first frost around the middle to end of october here in North Alabama. But we planted group 4 beans 2nd week in april so they could get early rains, great yields but, downside is we cannot wait for a frost. Stan

D

Please call me. I can help. I designed The Disrupter for exactley the problem that you are having. I have somemore tips that will get you running like the new machines. 1-800-235-4461. Estes Mfg. Co. Flanagan, Il 61740 call me any time. Don

aged1440

i hope you have an owners manual. you have something set wrong. this machine is just as good as a new one even if it is 23 years old. is discharge beater pan raised all the way upIJ is the dicharge beater drive belt slippingIJ is the discharge beater broken loose from it's drive shaft and the shaft spinning inside the beaterIJ the transport vanes should be in the front or middle holes. the guage for the concave clearance should be in the beans or corn position. i hope this helps. a brand new 2366 is not really much different inside than your 1440 good luck