Combines 1460 concave questionIJ

Farm_Kid2

The most common way to go would be 3 large Wire concaves followed by 3 keystock grates. What yeilds will you be seeingIJ What rotorIJ What do you have in the machine nowIJ With that info you can probably get some opinions on the cheapest way to go. Mike

gms

It has small wire on the front 3 and dont know what the back 3 are. But it also came with 3 large wire and 3 of the key stock type bought it on an auction.Never had an axial flow combine before.

Farm_Kid2

Sounds like you're set. They probably ran slotted grates with the small wire concaves for small grains like wheat. The slotted grates are smooth on the ID so that they do less damage to the straw and provide agitation to the crop to give extra separation. For milo you will want the large wire concaves and keystock grates. For corn lot of people take out every other concave wire. In soybeans, if you experiment, I bet you can find all sorts of combinations that work. We run large wires with the first 1-1_2 concaves blocked off, two slotted grates, and a keystock at the rear. This combination does a decent job in everything we cut, but we don't have corn.

gms

that combinnation you said last that works in small grain tooIJ thanks for the input.I really need some help . But a book could tell me too but hands on is a lot better thanks again

Farm_Kid2

Yes, it works fine in wheat for us. I went back and read my last post and found a mistake. The slotted grates are smooth on the inside, but it's the keystock grates that are rough (ribbed) which agitates the crop for extra separation. Do you know if you have the Standard rotor or the SpecialtyIJ What crops will you be harvestingIJ If you want to get the sample really clean, take a look at this link. It's the first step in making the axial flow really work well.

gms

I think it is a standard roter from what I hve seen on this site. WE do oats wheat corn and beans.I must have the slotted grate in the rear 3 but there are some bolt on slats on themIJIJIJIJIJIJ

gms

Thanks alot farmkid 2. When you are not use to a machine its hard to know all the ins and outs.All help is greatly apreiceped. Sorry for my spelling

Farm_Kid2

That is correct. The slotted grates have an oval hole for the grain to come through, but the center section of the hole is covered up with a metal slat. When you need more separating area, these slats can be removed. These were the original style grates. later, the keystock grates were introduced. Most people now replace the slotted grates with keystock grates when they are harvesting high-yeild crops rather than removing the slats. Some poeple run the keystock grates exclusively and never put in the slotted ones, corn and bean operations in Iowa for example. There is one time when you must have the slotted grates: baling straw. Even then the straw can be difficult to bale unless you run at night when it has become tough.

Farm_Kid2

You're welcome. I enjoy helping out with these machines. Just a few years ago I found this sight and realized how much more productive our machine could be if properly configured. I've been hoping to make a website on the topic, but never seem to get started on it. Hopefully I can get off Top Dead Center one of these days.