Combines 1660 oil leak

jalopy

Your pto input seal is leaking. The easiest fix is to pull the engine. Replace input seal, flexplate, and "very important" the bushing in the flywheel, also a good time to put rear crank seal in engine. Check new bushing fit on your old shaft. More than likely your old shaft is worn where it fits into the bushing, causing the shaft to "wobble". Can fix with a new shaft, but that is a little more involved, I would recommend going to a machine shop and have a sleeve or undersized bushing special made to fit the worn shaft. Sorry to ruin your day, good luck.

Rusty6

Your right, not quite what I was hoping to hear but I guess theres no easy way out of this one. I was thinking maybe just dis-connecting the pto unit and leaving the engine where it is but maybe I'm attacking it from the wrong end. Never had an engine out of a combine before. This one only has 2916 hours on it (IH DT466) and runs as good as new.

JWK

I asked the same question the other day at the dealer. The mech. said that they block up the engine and remove the PTO only and do the above repairs....Good luck.

Rusty6

Thanks JWK and all for the replies. Glad I have all winter to work on it. I'm told it might be a good time to check the hyd pump drive spline too.

farmer_d

you don't have to pull the engine. It's right that you only have to block up the back of the engine. It's not that bad of a job just that the gearbox and everything is heavy. And I did as you suggested and went to a machine shop for that bushing. They also resurfaced the shaft so dollar wise it wasn't too bad.