Combines 1680 wont move pumpIJ

Unit_2

Montanafarmboy, Your problem is not nearly as bad as it may seem to be. Ive repaired that right out in the field several times when I was running 1680s. You will need to take the shield off the left side of the combine so everything is out in the open. Use the unloading auger for your hoist. Unhook the pin in the unloading auger cylinder so you can move the unloading auger by hand. Wrap a chain around the unloading auger and hook a come along into the chain. Now youre ready to unbolt the pump. With the come along hold the pump up. When you have the pump unbolted just move the unloading auger out to move the pump out to give you a little room to work. Just let the pump hang there. The coupler that the other guys were talking about is actually the hub of that pulley. Unbolt the hub from the pulley and bolt a new hub in and your ready to but everything back together. Put a lot of antiseize on the shaft and hub before you go back together with it. The chances that the shaft is bad are slim. Out of the four hubs that Ive replace I have only had to replace the shaft once. Good luck!

Chuckm

What a good idea, I would have not thought of using the Auger as the hoist. Field ingenuity is amazing sometimes, especially when you are losing time and money. Thanks Unit 2.

m

We have a late model 1680 so it is the cummins. The pulley moves but the shaft does not. We may just have to have the Case dealer come in the morning as we are trying to put up hay at the same time and are getting behind with our hay and grain. Our dealer is usually prompt and fair, even though we didnt buy the machine from them. So to replace the shaft you have to either replace or overhaul the pump if I am understanding you. It probably would be smart to do the pump if it is already off. Our luck it would go out later!! Thanks for the help old pokey.... we are over in bozeman montana

Old_Pokey

I'm in hillsboro oregon, just west of portland. When I checked on the price of the pump, it was over $3000.00 for the one on our machine. I would ask your dealer how much sheet metal he figures needs to be removed. If you have take off the big side panel, make sure one of you is present to sort of help and also keep an eye on the dents.:) That main side panel is awkward at best, and you dont need someone dropping it. I'm pretty sure the dealer can repalce the shaft pretty quickly. I sure would'nt want to put that new coupler on an old shaft. If you have the shaft replaced, maybe you could let us know about what the dealer chargesIJIJIJ I'd be curious to know how much too much I spent.:)

C

I did the coupler on my 2100 series in the field. My output shaft from pump was ok so I just put the coupler on. I ratchet strapped the pump to the unloading auger. It worked great, I swung auger out a bit before I unbolted everything and then strapped it. With the weight of the pump on the auger it was easy just to pry pump apart enough to get bolts out to replace coupler. Don't know why my shaft wasn't wrecked just lucky I guess, it is a 1997 so maybe shafts were a little heavier. The job is easier then it looks, If I remember correctly I didn't have to take many hoses off if any at all.

Old_Pokey

If the shaft is worn and you put a new coupler on a worn shaft, would'nt that accelerate the wear on the new couplerIJIJ

deadeye

this is scaring me we have a 1688 with 2770 hrs havent touched coupler should we tear it apart or how do you know its going out.

rod

We rebuilt our 2188's before they broke. Put a vice grip on the coupler hold the pulley and see how much play there is on the shaft. Ours at 2000 engine hours were bad enough to have to replace the shaft also.

Unit_2

Your right it would, but from my experience the shaft is either in very good condition or it is worn very badly. One time when I was replacing the hub, I asked one of the guys with ProHarvest why the shaft seldom goes bad, but the hub continuously goes bad. They said the hub is made out of much softer material for that very reason, because it is much easier to replace than the shaft, and a lot cheeper also.

Old_Pokey

That makes sense. I think there is probably a little tolerance when they harden the shaft. I must have gotten one that was a little softer than it should have been. Both the coupler and the shaft were wore about the same. But like you said, of the 4 you replaced only one shaft was bad. I bet thats probably a pretty good average.