Combines Feed Chain Speed

Kelly

I have done soybeans that way when running a JD rowhead on my N7. I am not sure how it would work on a flexhead. Worked great on the rowhead. I have this far out opinion that might be worth what you pay for it but I think that the crop needs to move at the same velocity going through the machine. When your cylinder is slowed down for beans, your feed chains need to run slower, too.

Tom_Russell

That line of reasoning makes a lot of sense to me. Nothing gets through a combine faster than the slowest component. Its like saying the caboose cant get there before the engine. By the way, your fee sounds good to me. A check is in the mail. Tom in MN Combine in warm shop

T__langan

We've never tried it either, but would be interesting to see if chains would take crop away from header auger fast enough. As you said, it would save a couple of minutes during crop changeover. I'm not sure how your R60 is, but all we have to do is pull down the belt tensioner and change the belt to the larger or smaller pulley on the driver and driven ends. The problem is that it takes two people to do this - one to pull the tensioner down and the other to switch pulleys. They need to make some sort of a latch or hook that will hold the tensioner down while you switch pulleys if they haven't already. That is on our "To do" list but not high priority since there is usually two of us to switch over anyhow. Those chaffers are just easier to handle with a person on each side!

johnboy

We run the feed chains slow in beans for two reasons less breakup of the crop in dry conditions and longer life of the chains as they are doing less revs.john

PETE

How does the slower speed affect the sickleIJ Will it still cut fast enough to maintain ground speedIJ Pete Hinrichsen

ajco

to change cylinder belts on my M2 i use a rachet cable puller to hold the tightners away from the belt.works to move the chopper also.

T__langan

Pete - the feeder chain speed is independent of the head drive. Slowing or speeding of the feeder chain hasn't anything to do with the head speed on the rotaries. Take care and Happy Holidays! Tom langan

PETE

Thanks Tom,I had to think one that through,I see what you mean. Turning the sheave around on my N6 affects just the feeder chain speed not the head drive as the shaft that the sheave is on is still turning the same speed. I am going to have to try that next year as it is kind of a pain turning that pulley around. Pete Hinrichsen

Hyper_Harvest_II

Tom, Try rolling the belt from one sheave to the other,rather than holding the belt tightner loose while changing.Quicker,can be done by one person and make sure your fingers are not in the belt groove when the belt rolls into place. Good luck and Merry Christmas, Hyper Harvest II

Tom_Russell

What model combine are you running and what is the head sizeIJ If yours are close to mine, I will try it next year. I have an R60 with a 525 head. Tom in MN