Combines dakota

Ed_Boysun

There are always trade-offs. My opinion says that it's better to replace a flat piece of metal on the bottom of the feeder-house than it is to mess with elephant-ears, or jello molds. I think that the old floors used to be good for about 1000 hrs. The new ones use a really wicked type of alloy steel. I haven't heard how long it's good for. Sure hope it would last more than 1000 hrs. though.

dakota

I wonder how they do on the radiator and so on. The engine compartment must stay real clean als enclosed as it is. With our lexions last summer we got all the way to Colorado before we started cleaning radiators and air filters for the first time. The engine compartment stays extremly clean, too.

Ed_Boysun

The engine compartment stays very clean on the Gleaners. They also have a pretty good pre-cleaner and the top air intake seems to do the trick as far as keeping the air filter pretty decent. The blast of air through the accellerator rolls really makes a cloud of chaff and dust though. Given a proper following wind there can be a lot of material blown towards the radiator screen. We've never had to stop to clean radiators in the middle of the day, but we always blow them out every evening. If done frequently, it's only a 5 minute job that can be done while standing on the ground.

customcombiner

i'm sure you have had a fraction of the break downs, but also you have a fraction of the acerage compared to a custom harvester. plus some combines are lemons to begin with, i know we have had tractors thats have more breakdowns than the other tractors that have less hours than ours.

Roster

If you would walk a mile in his (Dakota's) shoes you may have a different perspective. A typical farmer operates his combine for a month or so each year; a customer cutter 5-6 months. I'm guessing Dakota's been at his occupation for 10 years or so; that means he has combine experience equal to 50-60 years for the average farmer. He makes his living with a combine, you do not. He sees breakdowns and lack of reliability as a threat to his livelihood; you see it as an inconvenience_annoyance. He places (trusts) the combine manufacturer with his livelihood, and has reason to be frustrated when it doesn't work to his expectation. I applaud him for taking the risk of trying other brands, most others won't do that for fear of putting all at risk. He sees the same part or system breaking on every combine in his line, he wonders why they can't make it better. You may not even encounter that problem because you don't operate in as severe of conditions, or your dealer catches it in one of your winter service visits. In the end, there is very little he can learn from the average farmer by posting here; it is the farmer who can learn from him. There is a "great cloud" of people who read this site, but don't post. We will all be lessened if he is driven off. Dakota, don't go silent. Many great posters have been driven off of other sites (Plowboy, SDMan, Woodbeef); the silent majority welcomes your posts. My .02$

Darren

I would agree with you Roster as it appears my post below seems to have got all of this going. Dakota -- I was just interested about what your thoughts were for 2004 IE: back to Deere, give the Cat's another try or possibly CASEIH, etc. This whole subject was not supposed to result in an "attack" against you.

Silver_Shoes

Just to make a comment here, I am primarily a Gleaner guy, but I went to Husker Harvest days and watched the show and here is my thoughts and what I seen. All combine were class 8 machines except for the Challenger, Massey, and Gleaner so they had a bit of disadvantage because everyone was running 12 rows. Now all the combine ran about the same speed except for the Cat 480R and yes they smoked everyone. I thought, oh crap he is going to be blowing it on the ground, but honestly the only combine throwing over was the 8010 in my opinion. The 480 had probably the best sample of anyone also. All I am saying is after listening to alot of ppl knocking the Claas machine I was so impressed by it that it just made me smile, because the underdog came up from behind and bit everyone else in the butt at the show. I heard numerous ppl commenting about the speed he was moving and the quality of the job he did, it was profound. Claas has nothing to be ashamed of here in the states with the capacity of her machine from what I seen. Maybe some service issues but not capacity

I like your input too Dakota. Telling it like it is can be too much for some people who then resort to personal attacks when they can not refute the facts. Keep posting Dakota.