Combines dakota

dakota

Sorry Darren, but sometimes I can't give you a straight answer in public, because of legal issues. You are welcome to emai.

Big_Truck

Better still the 480R is now the "old" model,can't wait to hear your comments from Husker Harvest days 2004 when the Claas guys have the 570R (435hp)_580R (512hp) to play with.They'll need to go and borrow "Altendorfs" 16 row corn head from lower Brule SD to make these monsters work!!!

dakota

I was at the Husker Harvest show, too and checked behind the combines. I had to walk half way down the field to get away from the crowd and the rope. I found very little difference in grain loss among all the combines. I watched each one go by three times. They kept changing their speed once in a while. Some of the big hp machines went 8 mph for a short while as I got reported by the grain cart operators. The only combine really showing a difference on the ground was the old JD 9600. It was the only combine able to leave the cobs in one piece. Being a conventionel seems to make a difference. After I finished my walk around the field, I looked at the boxes with the grain sample. Finding no cob pieces in any of them let to the conclusion that someone had altered the samples, because they looked very much different from what was in the grain carts. So I went back to the grain carts to talk to the drivers and watch the combines emtpy their remaining corn. I witnessed the CASE, the Massey, the Gleaner and the 9600 unload. To my surprise, the old 9600 JD had the cleanest sample. I guess, because she left all the cobs in one piece, she didn't have to screen them out later on. The sample of the rotor combines looked about the same. Since the grain carts got to switch among the combines, their operators got to see the different samples. I was told that the lexion had the dirtiest. If I had to do it over, I would take photos of each combine dumping in the grain cart.

Navaho

Ok Mr. Rooster, let me get this straight. After reading your message, I have learned quite a bit. let me share with you my new found knowledge: (1) Dakota makes his living with a combine and everyone else own them to impress their friends and neighbors. They don't use them to make a living.I have noticed that many celebrities on TV have a Deere 9750s and a lexion 480s parked in the garage right next to the Hummer and the Jaguar. This is considered recreational use of a combine. (2) One year of a custom harvesters life is equal to ten years for a "typical farmer".Since Dakota has been in the business for ten years or so. This should make him eligibly for retirement next year. (3) He (Dakota) makes his living with with a combine. He (Dakota) sees breakdowns and lack of reliability as a threat to his livelihood while a "typical farmer" sees it as an inconvenience_annoyance. Who doesn't see breakdowns as a inconvenienceIJ Do you think if one of my tractors breaksdown at the beginning of corn planting it's not an inconvenience or might comprise my yieldIJ My livelihood is at stake. You people have been in the sun too long. (4) He (Dakota) sees the same part or system breaking on every combine in his line and wonders why the manufactures can't make it "Dakota Proof" Ever heard the old saying, "Some people could screw up an anvil with a rubber mallet".Maybe this is the case. Did Dakota have the same bothersome problems with his Deere combinesIJ The best I can tell from all of the messages, Dakota had Deere combines before the 470 lexions, then he must have had money burning a hole in his pocket and traded for the fleet of 470R lexions. Dakota has expressed dissatisfaction with the 470's. Why purchase more lexion combinesIJ Does Dakota feel like he is doing lexion a favorIJ Why not trade those combines for something that he can operateIJ I've always heard that the definition of stupidity is doing the same thing time and time again hoping for a different result. It's something to think about. (5)In the end, there is very little he (Dakota)can learn from the average farmer by posting here; it's the farmer that can learn from him(Dakota).I need to put on hip-wadders to get above the Bull! I feel that a farmer could learn that some people can't operate and maintain a combine, if you have problems with a brand of combine, you purchase more of almost the same machine, then complain all of the time. If farmers operated the way Dakota does, custom harvesters would not have anything to harvest. Maybe Dakota should spend more time working on his machines instead of playing on the internet. Has Dakota had any combine experts from Germany out to look at his problemsIJ I think that's where those machines are made.Maybe that sophisticated German technology is too much for Dakota. John Deere 8820s are priced pretty reasonable. Something to consider.

Charlie

Roster, could not say it better myself. When your livelihood depends on it I think you have got every right to analyse the reliability of combines in detail. Some people have got to stop looking through green, yellow, red or multicoloured glasses and look at the facts. Dakota, obviously have not seen your operation first at hand but appreciate your insight. By the way we ended up buying a couple of CX860's for this harvest and may also get a CR970 which will arrive shortly. We will run them with our STS's and CTS's this Aussie harvest. Could not get a good trade in price on CAT 470R's. Cheers

hv_user

Navaho, You are such a words worth. Please share with us your combine experience, so we can gain from your great and vast knowledge. May be the german experts have been to look at the machines, or may be dakota had no other opions but to go with lexion, may be the other dealers did not want to trade lexion or the price that they offered was a joke, only dakota knows that.

Big_Truck

Maybe because we have one sitting in our shed!!! Since you said it was a "480R" at Husker harvest,These 400 series are now replaced by a totally new 500 series,we have had a lexion 570 since 1st July,a preproduction model we have been "testing" for Claas.Please see my posts on other threads below on this subject.

Big_Truck

I could be wrong here and I apologise to Dakota if I am, but I was reliably informed that their four 470 lexions are "contract hired" from Claas at $70 (American) per separator hour!!This mega deal is probably why they stick with Claas threw thick and thin. If I could get this good a deal I would have four new 570's in my yard next season no Questions asked!!!

claasman

O great learned one " Dr Navaho", i think if you look back at Dakota's post on the JD page a couple of years ago, when they ran STS's he had plenty of problems with that model. However i believe when they ran the 9600's before that they little trouble with the 9600's. i think Dakota has posted many times how good he believes the 9600's are. Just wondering what make of combine you run or do you use a custom cutterIJ If some of the other posters have been sitting in the sun to much, you may have been doing the opposite sitting in the shade with the mushrooms.