Combines 2388 unloading auger won t return

Varment

Check to make sure none of the switches are sticking . Also make sure the auger has been greased . If it is not getting lubed properly it will not go in or out . Coming back in I think takes more power espescially if it is full of grain . Joe

brand

It's usually the switch that limits outward travel mounted near the elbow on a piece between the elbow and outer sheet metal. If the switch is bad or thrown out of position it will prevent any travel.

Deerebines

The grain tank was empty when trying to bring the auger back in. We grease our machines religiously so I know for a fact grease is not the problem. Time I got to the field this morning the auger was back in. Asked what the problem was and they told me the tech couldn't get it to act up again for him like the nite before. Worked like a charm all day too. Not sure what to think now.

Deerebines

Now when you say the "elbow". Can you elaborate for me a little bit more pleaseIJ I'm not sure I understand where you are referring to. Do you mean the bend in the auger where the grain flow goes from vertical to horizontalIJ It worked fine all day today. Tech couldn't get it to copycat the symptoms from last nite. Thanks for the help.

brand

Yes, I mean the main bend from vertical to horizontal. Somewhere directly below the grease zerk on the outer side of the elbow is the switch, just inside the tank. You'll see when the auger is out, it moves this switch, which shuts the auger movement off at its outer limit. I am thinking that maybe the switch has been knocked out of place or bent so sometimes when your auger is either in or out, it won't move the other way. I would think that the tech checked this, but it's possible that the switch is loose so that it worked fine when he was there but periodically acts up.

nwkansan

There is a switch on the elbow, this one is stops the auger when it is all the way out, there is also a switch at the craddle that stops the auger when craddled. I had to put a spring on mine because the switch would stick at times and not swing back.

shellman

Make sure you grease the elbow with the auger at several different points to distribute the grease around the slide. Sounds like you problem is either a loose_failing switch, bad connection, or failing harness. When the auger was stuck out was the pfc hydraulic pump moaning like it was working or was it quiet. JDid you try and swing the auger while raising the head and what happened. Also when you tried to swing in did the pump begin to moan or was it quiet. This circuit is one of the most complex on the machine. There are a couple of special features witht he swing switch and several diode modules involved and can be difficult to troubleshoot if you don't understand what is all happening.

Deerebines

Alot of food for thought there. I'm gonna print that off and show the other two what all you commented. We were discussing again tonite the problem. Seems I was backwards. It doesn't have a problem going back, it's having a problem coming out. We've noticed that bouncing through the field and it will all of a sudden work but sitting in the field you can never get it to mimick the dilemma for the tech. We are also under the impression that there is a wire that is either broken or has lost good connection and when it wiggles just "so-so" it will work until a jiggle makes it loose connection again. The switch on the auger is new. The electro magnets were swapped around on the servo to see if one of those were the problem. Nothing changed. You mentiond something about a wiring harness. Is there a connecting tab somewhere that puts two together that we should be looking at that could of wiggled loose if the plastic tang got brokeIJ I am almost convinced it is something simple on the electrical side of things if a guy can just find where. Thanks for the help.

computerfan

The wiring harness for the unloading auger swing in and out limit switches is under the upper lip of the left side grain tank sheet metal. If the harness hangs slightly too low, the bolt for the rod end of the unloading auger hydraulic swing cylinder can hook the harness when auger is folded back and stretch or break the wire and create a bad connection. Fold your auger out and check your harness near where the cylinder anchor bolt passes the harness and see if there is any damage indicating that the bolt has stretched the harness. I have had 2 occasions where this happened. One broke the harness and the other stretched the harness whenever the bolt caught the harness and did not work as long as the harness was being pulled. If this is what is wrong with your combine, the damaged harness needs to be repaired and then pushed up high enough in the sheet metal lip so that the unloading cylinder anchor bolt will not catch the harness when the unloading auger swings back in. If you have any questions you may email me at mreimer2@cox.net .