Combines 480 vs 470 how much biggerIJ

tobaboy

I'd go with the Cat p_u header, its much easier to hook-up then the precision. I haven't run the two together, but I would suspect the 480 to have quite an advantage over the 470, the 470 seems to be no more than a class 6, whereas the 480 is clearly a class 8. As for the 480r well, it depends on whats going to limit you, its basically a 480 with variable speed rotors and 35 more HP, we noticed an advantage this year with our 480r, but it was related to the conditions more then anything, I do like the variable speed rotors. If you purchase the 480, make sure the concave is level, the linkage on the 400 series lexions seems to be a weak point and an out of level concave will greatly reduce your capacity in tough to thresh crops like wheat. What have you ran in the pastIJ Good luck.

Farmerman

I have run a 9650 STS for the last four years. My brother bought a used 470 which we also used this fall. I have been happy with the Deere, especially after putting an adjustable pre-cleaner in it this year--no more trouble overloading the chaffer. I'm looking at swapping it for a 480 with very similar hours. Am I going to be much farther ahead, or should I stay with good local serviceIJ The Cat gave us a better sample in the barley and wheat. Canola was the same, and peas STS was better. The 9650 STS had 0-20% better capacity. We sure would have liked the variable speed rotors for fine tuning on the 470. Does the 480 have a better straw chopper_spreader than the 470. I would be looking at a 36' header. What header(s) have you used and what works bestIJ How many hours did you have on your 480 when you tradedIJ Thanks.

1stfarmboy

A 470 is an 8 row corn machine and a 480 is a 12 row corn machine. If you can find a good used 480R that would be the machine to have. R-series has improvements, better cab, etc. on it.

big_G

We run a 480 with the cat head(P13) and a Rake-up, it workes very well, we also run a 36 ft MacDon 374 Harvest Header and are very pleased with it, the biggest dissapointment with the 480 is our straw chopper, chopping is average and the spread is poor, only about 20 ft., the "R" models have a Redekop chopper on them which seems to work better but it does need the extra HP it comes with. Otherwise the combine runs very well and it is by far the biggest combine we've ever run. We ran a NH TX68 before.

tobaboy

Are you interested in purchasing the wide-spread chopperIJ We're sticking a MAV on our 480r and therefore have no use for the factory chopper, we'd let it go for $3000, it has about 150hrs on it.

tobaboy

I remember talking with you last year when you were getting the 470, your from alberta rightIJ If you went with the 480, and it doesn't have the wide-spread chopper on it, then I would just pull the factory chopper off and replace it with a MAV from redekop. We had one on our 480r this year and were able to spread well over 36ft., just make sure you don't get the one that spreads the chaff and straw together, they don't work in canola. Our 480 had 750sep hrs. when we traded. It had maybe caused us a couple hours downtime in the three years we ran it; the feederhouse slipclutch failed, the APS belt snapped, we replaced a rotor belt and a bearing in the clean grain elevator failed. We can usually get about 18a_hour out of it, this is without a cart. We harvest peas, beans, wheat, barley, oats, canola, and flax. We run a 36ft. honeybee draper and a swathmaster p_u. If your getting a new head for it I'd maybe go with a macdon, they seem to be more reliable, atleast that has been our experience. The Honeybee feeds better and is cheaper, but it has caused us much more downtime then the combine over the past 4 years. Unless your 9650 is chipped, you should be able to smoke it with a 480, I mean its a class 6 vs. a class 8. But, if you don't have any service then I'd be tempted to stay with the Deere. How is the 480 pricedIJ

dakota

Does that mean 3.5mph in 200plus bu corn is too slowIJ (470 pushing twelve row)

Farmerman

Yes, I'm from Alberta. I'd like to discuss some prices and get some 480 knowledge if you are interested. (780) 674-2450. Thanks.

tobaboy

I'm away from home till tuesday of next week, I'll give you a call sometime after that.

1stfarmboy

I guess I am just used to driving combines a little faster. You are probably better off driving slower with a larger head such as your set up. less chance of accidents, plus it helps to keep the combine running at max. efficiency. I rode in a 480 with an 8 row head and the owner had a hard time keeping the machine full to operate correctly. They normally had to go full speed in second gear (in 190-200bu corn) luckily the fields were fairly flat. In my eyes 5-6 mph is a good speed, even though it might not be the most efficient, that is why I referred to the 470 as an 8 row and the 480 as a 12 row machine. Sorry about the confusion.