Combines 6600 brakes

slipclutch

I believe you need to remove the snapring in the brake drum and pull the output shaft out of the transmission through the brake drum. If you are still unable to remove the drum,remove the bolts [I think there are six] that hold the entire brake assembly to the transmission through the little access hole on the side of the drum. It should come off as a unit then shoe and drum together.

Tom_ncOhio

Sounds like my 4420 last year. Right side easy, left side impossible (almost). Same problem hitting the clutch housing. In theory, you should be able to do what slipclutch said below, except in my case there was so much rust I couldn't get the snap ring off. I eventually had to remove the clutch housing, which meant first removing the clutch and flywheel. I had a DEVIl of a time! Naturally I found an awful lot of things in there I didn't like and wound up replacing a lot of parts. I guess it was a blessing in disguise. Just make sure when you're done that you adjust the brakes properly by the book so they don't drag and heat up. They WIll burn up and you can have the fun of doing it again, or maybe experience a combine fire first hand. Watch that emergency brake lever also...it's too easy to leave it on with the same results. Good luck,

Joel

Just an update on the brake job, I have the axle extensions off and got the snap ring out of the center, got the axle out of the transmision and got the brakes loose with the star wheel inside, the brake drum is loose but will not come off, I think slipclutch is correct in the fact that the attach bolts must be taken off through the hole in the brake drum. I'm just working on this in free time so just a little at a time. next step is taking bolts out that hold backing plate, It's really a mess inside the drum.