Combines 7720 RWD

Farm_Kid2

Congrats on the purchase, I think you did good! Now that you have the RWD axle, you can run large tires and not have to worry about breaking spindles (I'm assuming that you have a unit manufactured by mud hog for JD). The larger the tires the better, but you may need larger rims to accomodate them. Also, your bolt pattern may now be different, so you might need new rims anyway. For best performance, you should shoot to run 6 psi in radial tires. If you can weigh the rear of your machine when the bin is full with your lightest header, and then also with the bin empty and no header (like going down the road),I can tell you how much air you would have to run in the different tire sizes your interested in, or point you to the data on the web. We are running 28lR26's in the back and love them, but you have to be sure they will clear your machine when you turn. Mike

Calander_Farms

Guys that my dad has talked to are all saying that the JD RWD units are better than the Mud Hogs, including the farmer that we bought it from. Did JD actually make their own units or were they all made by Mud HogIJ As far as weight...couldnt tell ya. The nearest scale is 10 miles away and we really dont have the time to mess with that. We run a 220 flex and a 643 cornhead. No tank extensions. Havent looked at the spindles too closely yet to tell if the bolt pattern is different or not. Thanks for the help.

Farm_Kid2

I guess it's possible that JD made the older units and then switched to Mud Hog units laterIJ If they are telling you that it's better than the Mud Hog, then I sure wouldn't worry, because the Mud Hogs are fine in my opinion. I know weighing the machine is a pain. We did it in the winter, and it was still a pain. When you get the axle on, don't forget to pivot the axle vertically both ways when you try to determine how large the tires can be and still clear. It's best to run offset rims dished in, not out, on any RWD unit.