Adapting U-pick Operation

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
We run a berry U-pick operation and I'm not sure how we can best adapt to the threat of COVID-19. We didn't open that part of our business during the last harvest season, but it doesn't look like things are going back to normal anytime soon. Any advice?

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
I don't run a U-pick operation, but from what I understand about the virus being outside limits our exposure. So you have less risk already. If you limit the crowd size and require masks then maybe it could work.

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
I know some people successfully ran pumpkin patches this year, so it's possible to do. I wouldn't want to start anything from scratch at the moment, but since you're already established and spring is a few months away then I'd plan to open.

Charli1

Charli1

Golden Chicken
Well I would hope that the world will be a much safer place by the time berries are ready to be picked. If not, limit groups of people and have them in different rows. You can also make them wear masks and bring their own containers.

Jack L

Jack L

Farm Hand
If you limit the crowd size and require masks then maybe it could work.

That's really all you have to do. No need to overthink this, I think. Just kindly not allow the over 65 crowd to participate unless you set certain time of day aside only for them.

BIGRED

BIGRED

Golden Chicken
These are great tips. I wouldn't have thought about the Over 65 crowd. A lot of stores are doing special hours first thing in the morning.

I wonder how busy you will be come next season? I know we went to several U-pick places (apple, strawberry, and pumpkin).