Combines adjusting Precleaner for STS 60 series

Darren

Rod -- We grow canola, wheat and barley as well. We are thinking of getting the adjustable pre-cleaner. Can you let me know what the settings are that you use for these 3 crops.... thanks

Rod

Pre-cleaner settings for: Canola: 2-3mm Wheat: 10-12mm Barley: 10-12mm (you can go a little wider in barley) I use 2 small wire concaves in the front and 1 large wire at the rear. No concave cover plates. Separator grates have one row covered on either side. Sometimes you might need to fit more in or take out depending upon crop and conditions. You have to remember that here in Australia, harvesting conditions vary from hot and dry to very hot and dry.

Darren

Thanks Rod --- Just 2 more questions.... Are the seives, concave, rotor and wind set according to the book or do these need to be adjusted with the change in the pre-cleanerIJIJ Does the adjustable pre-cleaner come with recommend settings or is it done by trial and errorIJIJ

Rod

Sieves, concave, rotor, wind etc are about the same as the book but just check it out by trial and error. One thing I really try to elliminate in all crops is the amount of returns. If you have an excessive and unwarranted amount of returns it usually means you are not thrashing it properly in the first instance or, the bottom sieve is too closed or not enough air. If you take a logical approach to the process of harvesting you won't go far wrong. I know it's been said a thousand times before - but just remember to start addressing problems or settings at the very front of the harvester before moving to the next section of the machine. I find too many people start at the back of the machine and move forward trying to rectify problems. Settings for the adjustable pre-cleaner are a matter of trial,error and logic. For instance, if you are harvesting canola and have the top sieve around 12mm and the bottom around 2-3mm, you wouldn't have the pre-cleaner at say 15mm would youIJ logic would tell you that around 5mm would be a good starting point. Similarly in wheat a top sieve of 16mm and bottom sieve of 6mm would induce a pre-cleaner setting of around 10mm.

Farmerman

Obviously you have experience setting the pre-cleaner, but logic would have told me to set it approximately the same as the chaffer. The farther along the material gets, the cleaner and finer the settings become. The way you are setting it tells me there is not enough air flow to the pre-cleaner to keep a large amount of MOG from falling through. I guess the farther back the material travels the more junk is being separated from the grain, thus allowing the chaffer to be farther open than the pre-cleaner. I am glad you made this posting because I ordered an adjustable pre-cleaner and hope to install it soon. This will give me some idea of where to start with setting it. Thanks.