Age for part time helpers

TammiT

TammiT

Farm Hand
We have decided to hire someone to come help with the morning and afternoon chores. How old, really how young, would you hire? We were thinking 15 or 16. They would not have to drive, just help with the animals and stalls.

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
If you don't have neighbors with young kids, then I would say at least 16 so they can drive to your place. Not many parents would want to cart their teen to work that early in the morning, then have to wait on them to get done. Besides, I think 16 is what's required by the law anyway. A 16-year-old can work on your farm anytime, even during school hours.

The Big Cowhuna

The Big Cowhuna

Golden Chicken
16 sounds about right to me. I've had a hard time finding part-time help in the past, so I hope it goes better for you.

pseag

pseag

Farm Hand
We hired a 15 year old neighbor kid to help us. It worked out wonderful. I think you can get your working papers and work on a farm earlier than 16. I hope you are able to find some help.

Gordyg

Gordyg

Farm Hand
We have some family members that are 14 that help us with the grapes. I think 15 is the legal age (with working papers) but most wait until they are 16.
I see nothing wrong with having some 16 year old kids working for you.