Aggressive Chickens

Stocky

Stocky

Farm Hand
Having a disease within a flock is one thing, but handling aggressive chickens is really challenging. Nothing is going on, then the next thing you'll see, the flock is in chaos. I've tried isolating some of them, but it's not solving the problem. After one starts attacking, the others follow like a domino effect.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Some breeds are more aggressive than others. What breed do you have?

Digger

Digger

Golden Chicken
Usually when that happens, the problem is overcrowding. Make sure there's enough room so there'll be less stress. The chickens are going to establish a pecking order. Subtle changes to the flock can really rock the boat sometimes. Have you added any new chickens lately? Have you subtracted any?

Stocky

Stocky

Farm Hand
@RichZ I only have California white chickens, which I think isn't a very aggressive breed. I'm still figuring out what's causing the stress.

@Digger I chose to observe their behavior, so I refrained from adding new chickens. I'll try changing their placement; perhaps their aggression has something to do with overcrowding. Thank you!

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
I can relate, @Stocky. Years ago, I had one bully chicken who seemed to create such a fuss and that fuss was often directed towards our young children. And once the bully chicken started in, the others followed suit. The bully met the stew pot and all was peaceful again. Sometimes you just have to get rid of the ringleader.

Stocky

Stocky

Farm Hand
I can relate, @Stocky. Years ago, I had one bully chicken who seemed to create such a fuss and that fuss was often directed towards our young children. And once the bully chicken started in, the others followed suit. The bully met the stew pot and all was peaceful again. Sometimes you just have to get rid of the ringleader.
This is one way of reorganizing the hierarchy. The ringleader was probably so obvious that you were able to identify it well. It's a good thing you didn't confuse it with the others that were only following its aggression.