Combines air deflector

Farm_Kid2

I think the air deflector really shines for small grains and folks who want the sample to look more like it came out of a seed cleaner than a combine. We are really picky about how much foreign material gets in the bin, so it made a big difference to us. I would try cranking the air up untill beans get blown out the back over the chaffer, if that's possible, then back off the air from there. You might be surprised how high you can run the fan speed now that there is no high velocity jet at the front of the chaffer. If you can get all that MOG floating out the back of the machine the dirty sample should be a thing of the past.

Farm_Kid2

I've heard of corn getting in the fan before, so the last one I installed I took a real close look at how that might happen. When the material comes off the auger bed, it is behind the back of the deflector. It seem pretty unlikely that grain could be thrown forward into the deflector after it leaves the auger bed. I think what might be happening is that the auger bed has been worn through and grain is falling through it. Without the deflector the grain falls down and goes rearward, but with the deflector it falls down and goes forward into the fan. I'm not too confident in that, but it's the only thing I can think of that would cause it. What do you thinkIJ Mike

david

There are no holes in the auger bed. I thought maybe the air deflector should be moved forward a bit to avoid any grain falling onto the top of it. We might have a few too many hills to avoid the problem. Anyway, when a deflector is installed and working correctly does it elimenate the fine corn meal and dust from the corn sampleIJ I 'm still curious!! thanks

Farm_Kid2

Could you notice a difference going downhillIJ The last guy who had this problem claimed that made no difference, as I recall. What kind of sieve and chaffer were you usingIJ How open were they setIJ I don't have any corn experience, but in wheat, milo and beans you can get a really clean sample with the deflector. Really, the only limitation to the sample is how well you can thresh the crop.

GRS

The problem is the bottom sieve is 10 or so inches ahead of the top sieve. When you close the bottom sieve to much, it slides the corn foward into the fan housing. when you close the bottom sieve to much, you cut off the air to the chaffer. Most of the air has to go through the bottom sieve to get to the chaffer. The fix is to remove the bottom sieve. The first thing you will notice is there is no grain wear on the first 10 slats. Open it wide open. Cut the adjusting strap between the 9th and 10th louver from the front. Weld the adjusting strap from the front louvers to the frame, so they will stay in that open position. Remove enough strap between the 9th and 10th louver that the rear section can have full travel from full open to full closed. The corn now falls in the clean grain instead of the fan housing when you close the bottom sieve to much. This puts the air blast at the front of the chaffer were it belongs, not the back. It also spreads the air out over more area, making your fan more efficient. It greatly reduces the air blast hot spots that blows grain out the back. The top sieve is where you want your air (chaffer),not the bottom sieve (cleaning sieve). In most cases, the mogg walks on the chaffer until it gets close to the back, and then it gets hit with a strong air blast at the back and away it goes. We run the long finger chaffer in corn, milo, wheat, sunflowers, soybeans and millet. We never change top sieves, and don't have trouble cleaning the grain or keeping it in the machine. Adjusting is much easier, fan speed has a wider RPM operating range, and sieve adjustment is not so touchy. The faster you lift the light stuff, the more availiable opening you have for the grain to get down. Our wheat this year was burned up and hailed on. Forty bushel was best irrigated, three was the worst dry land. Best test weight was 61 and worst was 55, and very clean behind. Now it is hard to blow grain out of the machine. It sure makes life alot simpler.

Farm_Kid2

That makes a lot of sense and explains why corn gets in the fan so much worst the the smaller grains. I didn't think about the corn not being able to fall through the lower sieve, but that would do it. Are you using the fan deflector with the modified lower sieve, or just the modified sieve by itselfIJ

GRS

I haven't used the air deflector. Does it direct more air under the bottom sieve, or between the top and bottom sieveIJ

Farm_Kid2

It directs more air to the rear of the chaffer and to the rear of the lower sieve. I'm not sure how it effects the split between the chaffer and the lower sieve. It keeps the smaller grains from being "launched" vertically by the high velocity air jet at the front of the chaffer.