Combines Air Reels

oldstruck

Hi Guys, Thanks for the reply. Here is my options. 1. Fix up our present flex head that we have, we got one that works ok, but need some things repaired. When we got it we were put in a bind to get something quick and the dealer in SE Iowa, nicked us a bit on top of everything else. The reel is in not so good shape (tines clipped short, bent bars),plus some other issue with the head itself. I finally figured out that the head was put together by someone with out the assembly manual, or it was done by a monkey. But we have gotten by with it the last two years, and after some time with the manuals we have got it in better shape than when we got it. { Always drive to and lOOK at what your buying if it takes you two days to do so!!!!!!!!!! Have the dealer hook it to a combine and run it, check everything including how true the components are operating!!!!!!! Make sure they include the drive coupler. } I am looking at if it would be better to fix the issues I have with my present head and replace the reel with a Crary air reel. OR 2. I can get a really nice newer head that has nice tines and is straight and just add the AWS system. But I am going to have to go twice as far as I did last time to get this newer head. Uhggg! Any one live in southern IndianaIJ IF so please get a hold of me this weekend! I will put another post out there for that question. Just a note, we harvest soybean, wheat and milo, along with corn. We have 300 acres, due to research work, harvest losses dont help us when we harvest nor the next year in the next crop we have. like everyone else I dont have an unlimited budget so I have to try to make each $ I spend go as far as it can. Thanks again! I really appreciate everyone here and your knowledge!

oldstruck

Hi Dan! Well I finally got my seed ordered, I had to wait for two professors and their project to get me their wants and needs. I got some 3302, the last that we will be able to get I learned, I also got 3005's. The projects will get some 19's, 36's and 44's from AsGrow, plus we have some Crows and Merschman beans that will come in. I did what you told me to do was and that was to stay away from the shorter beans. I am not sure about one of the varieties we will get, there was no information it other than it was roundup ready. I really appreciated your advice. If I had not had your information on the bean height we would have ended up with 3 varieties that were short on that project! We got that changed this week. I thought I would let you know, you helped us! Thank you! stu

IowaDan

I might know where there is a nice 15ft 800 head if you're interested. It's in my area 30 miles west of Des Moines. Friend of mine bought it new in 98 and he takes pretty good care of his equipment. let me know and I'll see if it is still available. He traded his R42 and heads for a new CaseIH 2577. Agco missed a sale because they no longer offer the R55. He wanted a new class 5 machine. Just a note, if you get the AWS system, the short beans won't matter anymore.

oldstruck

Hi Dan! When it rains it pours!!!!! There is a CIH dealer over in Indiana that is an 816 but It looks to be better than ours. I am tentatively in the process with that one. But.... We went with a 816 to pick up the tillard wheat heads that would be out of reach in our plot areas. We run 6 row 30", we have a 15' drill. I would prefer the 15' in the milo and beans. But would like a rigid 16' for the wheat. Then comes the question, do you have a rigid and a flex, and have all the extra steel and up keep on two tables, for 250 total acresIJ This is one of those things that I would prefer the head you suggest, cause you have nothing to gain either way other than helping someone out. I am always leary of dealers, especially when you get further away from home. If the one you know of was an 816, suppose I would be on the road tomorrow. I suppose I should ask what is the price they are asking for itIJ Ours is not junk just has a few issues and I know we are going to in this Silver machine for the next 15 to 20 years. It is really too bad that Class 5 machines are not available any more. I still believe there is a market out there for those machines, and always will be. There are farms and even fields that the big monsters just cant get into. Plus for our plot work, it is a trick to get the processor full to do a good job with the 42 we have, in a 50 or 75 foot plot. we had yellow years ago, then the M2 then to the shared 1660 (long story) and now the R42. OOPS, i am rambling.

Redhotnrolli_n

J Wondering; Have used Crary Air Reel for 3 seasons. I like the better feeding it gives in short crop cutting, and reduced losses in shatter conditions (talking soybeans here). The air blast compliments the rotary reel. If I save only a bushel_ac., that's over $10_ac. at current prices. Helps pay for a spray pass or fuel etc. after it pays for itself. Bought it used on a 1020 head, so that helped too.

cashcroper

You cut faster with a air reel evener feed, knife will last longer only cutting the crop off once,your knike is always clean.Can save a extra 3 to 5 bushels per acre too But they do take extra horse power to drive too once you have one you would never cut beans again without a air reel.

canuck

Where do the extra beans come fromIJ I would be shocked if the average loss is more than the planting rate of 1 1_2 to 2 bushels an acre. That would look like an awful mess

colwood56

Have a friend who bought one and is using for the first time this fall. He's doing soys right now and I just asked him if it is worth itIJ He said don't buy one yet, he's not sure there worth the money. canuck makes a great point. A bushel lost per acre would be a mess and I'm not leaving that on the ground. Only advantage may be more even feed, is that worth the moneyIJ

colwood56

Re-thought this a little, would one bushel_acre look like much over a 30' headIJ

canuck

No matter what size the head a bushel an acre is about 4 beans per square foot