Amazing step-over apple trees

Birdie

Golden Chicken
I've never seen them in person, but apparently some cultivars can be trained through espalier to grow horizontally, and they're so low that you can actually step right over them. They're highly productive too. I can only find sellers in the UK that offer this type of fruit tree. Has anyone sourced these types of apple trees in the United States? I'm not sure I'd want to buy a tree from overseas due to possible customs issues and having such a huge difference in climate.

download (2).jpg

download (2).jpg

GrowPro

GrowPro

Farm Hand
That looks more an apple tree that's been trained to grow like a low horizontal cordon, but it doesn't really matter. You can train dwarf fruit trees either way. I suspect you're searching for the wrong thing. Instead of a tree, look for dwarf rootstock that is easy to train. Don't forget that it will likely need a different apple tree to pollinate. Both trees need to bloom at the same time and be planted close enough together.

Giselle

Farm Hand
Interesting. I think I saw something like this before as well. I wonder if it’s better to grow vertically though. Or there is no such difference as long as you are taking proper care of it?

Minty

Minty

Farm Hand
It’s possible for them to grow horizontally as far as I know. I think it’s actually more beautiful. It shouldn’t affect much on how the apples grow. Even though I seldom see people doing that in my area.

Birdie

Golden Chicken
Interesting. I think I saw something like this before as well. I wonder if it’s better to grow vertically though. Or there is no such difference as long as you are taking proper care of it?
Supposedly, it doesn't matter how you grow the tree, it will still be productive as long as it's getting the right sun, water, and nutrients. But then you have to wonder why more people don't grow them low to the ground, so I'm not sure I buy it.

@Thank you for the help, GrowPro. You're right, I was searching for the wrong thing.