Backyard livestock

greg

greg

Farm Hand
Most people assume that raising animals in a traditional backyard is easy. However, this is a venture that requires careful and detailed planning. There has to be some space for the garden, and the environment should be clean and healthy. If you had to start, which animals would you pick?

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
I'm an urban homesteader. I started with chickens and I think that was a good choice for me. I think the biggest issue with larger barn animals is dealing with their manure, especially if you have neighbors.

The Big Cowhuna

The Big Cowhuna

Golden Chicken
It depends on the end goal really. If I was raising livestock to provide fresh meat for the table then I would probably stick with small animals like rabbits, quail, and chickens. I think they would be the easiest to slaughter and process in a backyard setting.

RuralFarm

RuralFarm

Farm Hand
There has to be enough space so that the livestock have a favorable environment. You should start small and more gradually if the need arises. Chickens, quails, or rabbits are possible options.

Shelbii

Shelbii

Farm Hand
We started small when I was a child. We had chickens and a rooster. My parents then bought a farm and we raised chickens, cattle and pigs. I wouldn't try to raise pigs or cows in my backyard.

Chris T

Chris T

Farm Hand
Cows or pigs would be tricky options because of the space required to rear them. I think that goats can make good backyard livestock. Goat's milk is highly nutritious, and lactose intolerant people often drink it without issue.