Baking Soda to Kill Weeds

Chickadee

Chickadee

Farm Hand
I love baking soda. You can use it for so many things in the house - everything from deodorizing to cleaning. I use it regularly on our front steps, porch, and sidewalk to help with the ice we get in the winter.

The other day I was reading and saw that baking soda can even help remove weeds from sidewalks and driveways. The article said to sprinkle baking soda liberally onto the weeds, and they'll die. Has anyone tried this? Does it actually work?

Jonny B Goode

Jonny B Goode

Farm Hand
I haven't tried that method yet, but by all accounts it does work. In my case though, I would need 10 pounds of that stuff, easily, to take care of the weed problem I have.

So the next question could be.......can you buy it in bulk?

baloyi

baloyi

Farm Hand
You can either use vinegar or baking soda, depending on the one that's at your disposal. The former is said to be the best grass and weed killer. The older the weeds, the higher the concentration of vinegar to be used. I guess the same applies to the use of baking soda.

Farmallh

Farmallh

Golden Chicken
I have never heard this. I know vinegar and water kills weeds. I also didn't know that baking soda was good for ice! I use salt. Baking soda is pretty impressive, I'm going to really look into it.

Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Farm Hand
We've always used salt for our ice. I'll have to try the baking soda! I have had luck using baking soda to kill weeds in my small backyard garden. It definitely works, so give it a try this Spring.

Durad

Two years ago I did some rust removal from some equipment using baking soda in my sand blaster. It was not one of those enclosed blasters. I simply used a blaster gun and tank in an open area that was surrounded by bushes (some of them were nice bushes). Well, everything within blast and drift range of that baking soda died in fairly short order. It's like salt. It also removed a lot of rust from my parts.

duck

duck

I use baking soda with super glue. Apply the glue as you normally would & then sprinkle baking soda on top, no mixing necessary, it then turns into a rock hard weld of sorts.

Eddy Winko

Eddy Winko

As a few have mentioned above vinigar is a great weed killer, use a 10% spirit vinigar if you have it and spray direct onto leaves, especially effective when the sun is shining, repeat several times over several days and the weeds will be gone :)

ch1ch2

ch1ch2

Farm Hand
How does the baking soda know the difference between the weeds and the wanted plants/grasses?