Bartering

Desi

Desi

Golden Chicken
Any other farmers here barter? We needed some plumbing work done so we bartered with our neighbor. I'm teaching his wife to quilt, he is teaching my husband to install new plumbing.

Andrew T

Andrew T

Farm Hand
You don't see too many people bartering these days, but I think it's a great system. I've bartered with our neighbors before. Not only is it a good way to share knowledge, but it allowed us to build a stronger friendship, too.

Syd. L

Syd. L

Farm Hand
There can be a fine line between bartering and neighbors helping neighbors. Either way you look at it, it's a good thing. It's a good way to make friends which in turn help make the community stronger.

More people should do this.

Desi

Desi

Golden Chicken
I couldn't agree more. Our neighbors are great friends and it all started with them needing a cup of sour cream for some recipe. We try to help our neighbors too but it's great when you can trade skills.

Toymaker

Farm Hand
More of neighbors helping each other.

Barter is still out there, but what you describe is more of helping each other (which is great in my opin)

Barter to me is more trading a hog for 10 chickens in my definition....helping us butchering said hog in exchange for helping to build a coop.

Minty

Minty

Farm Hand
I do with my neighbors. But the term bartering sounds a bit weird to me. I don’t know, it’s more of a casual thing for us. But yeah, if I get what you mean, I do barter.

Qapla

Qapla

Farm Hand
Helping each other with no set amount or expectation of exchange is simply that -being neighborly and helpful.

Setting an exchange rate makes it actual "barter" and, as such, is subject to taxation. If the IRS finds that you are bartering your goods, they will expect you to report the exchange as "income" and pay taxes on that amount.

Back in the 1970's there were quite a number of "barter exchange" groups/organizations/co-ops that started to grow because people thought it was a way to avoid the taxes. The IRS stepped in and started auditing taxes of people who belonged to these barter exchanges and charged interest and penalties on all the income that had not been declared because those bartering did not think it was income.

Barter Exchanges disappeared about as fast as they started - and I have not seen them come back since.

Chris T

Chris T

Farm Hand
There can be a fine line between bartering and neighbors helping neighbors. Either way you look at it, it's a good thing. It's a good way to make friends which in turn help make the community stronger.

More people should do this.
Bartering may not be so rampant now, but it is a great way to build relationships and get to know your neighbors. Remember that other people can find this intrusive. Great things happen when farmers (and people in general) come together.