Best milk goats

Emergency Cake

Emergency Cake

Farm Hand
I own a bakery and one of the things that makes us special is that most of the ingredients are produced right here. I'm considering replacing our cows with some goats, so I'd like to know which goats are the best milk providers in volume, taste, and ease of milking?

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
I'm partial to the Lamancha, but there are several great breeds that fit your description. What is it that you don't like about your dairy cows that has you wanting to replace them? That might help us offer better suggestions to you.

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
I have a small herd of Nigerian Dwarfs and they're a lot of fun. They have an excellent temperament and I find them easy to milk. I think their milk tastes better than cow's milk too.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Nigerian Dwarfs have the highest butterfat content of goats milk, and the taste of their milk is outstanding. I also love their personalities. But they are small,so they don't produce as much as the full size goats. Nubians probably have the best tasting milk of the full sized goats. Saanens produce the highest volume of any goats, they are basically the Holsteins of goats. I have never noticed any difference in the ease of milking between any of the breeds.

jack

jack

Farm Hand
You have to consider factors like milk fat content, temperament, and so on, apart from average milk production. Nigerian dwarf, Saanen, LaMancha, or Nubian are some of the recommended breeds.

FarmEnthusiast

FarmEnthusiast

Farm Hand
You have to consider factors like milk fat content, temperament, and so on, apart from average milk production. Nigerian dwarf, Saanen, LaMancha, or Nubian are some of the recommended breeds.
Other milk-producing goats include the French Alpine, Toggenburg (one of the oldest breeds known),and Oberhasli goats, which produce less creamy milk with 3.6% fat. The Sable goats are an adaptation of the Saanen, and their milk contains about 4% fat.

Emergency Cake

Emergency Cake

Farm Hand
What is it that you don't like about your dairy cows that has you wanting to replace them? That might help us offer better suggestions to you.
I'm sorry it has taken me so long to reply, but I had to really think about my answer. There's nothing I truly dislike about my cows, but they eat a lot and they produce a lot of manure. They're docile and easy enough to milk, but they don't have much of a personality. I thought goats might offer bang for the buck and be easier to care for when it comes to waste management. I'm not sure whether I'll make the trade or not. I go back and forth on this one.