Birds sleep?

Mayfield

Mayfield

Farm Hand
So... I've noticed that we don't get many birds at night (at our feeders). I'm assuming it is because birds sleep. I never did research on this but they have to sleep right? Where and don't they feel threatened?

Gordyg

Gordyg

Farm Hand
I read that most birds need up to 12 hours of sleep each day. They just tuck their heads into their feathers and sleep.
I often wonder how they don't fall off or over when they are sleeping.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Most birds (with the exception of owls and a few other types)are not active during the night time. the tendons in their feet lock when they are sleeping, so they don't fall off of their perches.

pseag

pseag

Farm Hand
I knew they slept too but I didn't ever think about it. I guess it makes sense.
Are there animals that don't need any sleep?
I often wondered how birds could sit on such small surfaces.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
I don't know of any animals that don't sleep.

RuralFarm

RuralFarm

Farm Hand
I get amused by their sleeping habits. They typically sleep from dusk to dawn in positions and places of their choice. Whereas they wake if disturbed, some are heavier sleepers than others.

BarkerB

BarkerB

Farm Hand
It's fun to watch. All the birds are flying around all over and then bam - no birds. They must all sleep at the same time here.
We have been getting more and more feathered friends at our feeders this past week.

Jonny B Goode

Jonny B Goode

Farm Hand
I don't know of any animals that don't sleep.
Yeah, but it's harder to imagine for some than others. It comes down to how often we see the animal, mammal, or bird, I think. Of course they sleep, but unless you are in contact with them the majority of the time, it's hard to imagine them doing something you don't see them doing.

Shelbii

Shelbii

Farm Hand
Birds definitely sleep! I never really thought about it either though. You just see them flying around and then they don't at night.
Bats, are they birds? They sleep during the day.