Combines Brake Bleeding on the 4400 Need Help

JHEnt

RED the best way I've found to bleed brakes is to loosen your bleed screw then have the pedal pushed down slow. Have whoever is working the brakes hold the pedal down until you can tighten the bleed screw (just tight enough so it doesn't draw air in when the pedal is lifted) Once its tight have them let the pedal up and repeat until no more air comes out the breather on the down stroke. If the bleeder is loose and you work the pedal fast some air is always pulled back up in the brake cylinder. The same can be said of the master cylinder. If you have a length of clear hose the right size you can slip this on the end of the bleeder screw and into a jar with alittle brake fluid in it. As long as the tip of the hose is submerged you can work the brake up in the cab by yourself. after working it a few times you can climb down and tighten the screw some. You can then climb back up and test the feel of the pedal to see if there's air left. This way you can get them bled by yourself it just takes some time and quite a few trips up and down the ladder

95man

Red, Here's my homeade way of brake bleeding - get an old plastic cup that's clean and find you a piece of small hose or tubing that will fit snugly around the bleeder screw head. With the bleeder on the slave cylinders open, the hose on and the hose run to the cup with fluid in the cup - enough to cover the end of the tube, pump the pedal in the cab (Corey) and make sure you don't run the master cylinder dry. What will happen is if there's any air in the lines it will be pushed out (slow pedal pumps) and when you let up on the pedal, fluid will be sucked back in until there is no air left. Retigten the bleeder screw with the hose into the fluid still attached and after you get the screw tight, then remove the hose. WAllA!! no air all DOT 3 in your lines. Good luck

The_Red

Thanks to all 3 of you on your comments. If it doesn't rain today I will give it another try later today. I might drag my neighbor over with me.

The_Red

Here is a Saturday afternoon update. I unhooked the right brake line at the master cylinder and pumped the pedal. I must have had some restriction because after about 3 pumps it started squirting real well. I hooked up the line and fluid proceeded down to the right brake assembly. I still have air in both lines but both brakes do have some pressure. I'll drag a neighbor over this afternoon and bleed them properly. She is real close to being ready for the 2 1_2 mile journey through Indianapolis.