Breed or artificial inseminate

BarkerB

BarkerB

Farm Hand
Do you breed or use artificial insemination for your animals? What's the pros and cons? I would think that if you didn't have the male animal you would have to "rent" one. Is it cheaper than artificial insemination?

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
We used to breed goats and sheep. We always kept males, and never used AI. I have some friends that have used it. AI can be especially useful if you want to add certain genetics to your herd without increasing the number of male animals that you have to keep.

pseag

pseag

Farm Hand
We breed too, we have a neighbor that has a couple of good bulls. We don't tend on owning any bulls. I never went the route of artificial insemination. I guess if the breeding didn't work, we would.

Pinewood Acres

Pinewood Acres

Farm Hand
It's usually cheaper to rent a stud than it is to go with artificial insemination. Goats - if you're looking to increase your milk supply, and you aren't intending to add to your herd, then renting a stud is the easiest way to go. Sell the offspring when it's old enough and continue milking its mother. Chickens - If you don't want a rooster, I'd buy fertilized eggs or chicks because they're affordable.