Buying Back Family Farm Land

Appaholic11

What do you do when family members take advantage of knowing you want to buy a piece of the old family farm and charge astronomical prices for it?

Rickinohio

Farm Hand
What do you do when family members take advantage of knowing you want to buy a piece of the old family farm and charge astronomical prices for it?
I would be getting some new family members

Amanda

Amanda

Farm Hand
You walk away from the deal. Seriously, that land really isn't worth paying more for. It'll just bring up old hurts. Go buy land elsewhere for a decent price and make your family proud by turning it into something great. It's the memories that matter anyway and that's something you can always take with you.

Wildlife

Wildlife

Bean Stalker
Yep walk away could be more problems in the future.

Appaholic11

Maybe I should clarify that I do currently own almost 250 acres of this farm and this particular 8 acres sits almost directly in the middle of all this.

Rickinohio

Farm Hand
Maybe I should clarify that I do currently own almost 250 acres of this farm and this particular 8 acres sits almost directly in the middle of all this.
That makes it tough. I would suggest getting it appraised and take that number to the family members .keep in mind someone else outside the family might have a hard time wanting to pay there rediculas price especially if your property has it surrounded. That's one of those damn if you do or damn if you don't good luck. RICK

Skyline

Skyline

Farm Hand
Oh my... that’s really heartbreaking honestly, if I were you. Sorry to hear that...Well I’m not very sure how is your relationship with your family, but I wonder if you can have some sit-down talks with them. I don’t know but I feel like family issues always require more communication here and there.

MichaelS

MichaelS

Farm Hand
Wow! Lousy family members. Honestly it sounds like you're stuck paying whatever they want (since it sits in the middle). Do you have to have this piece of land? Could you act like you don't and then charge them for using your property to get to theirs? Sounds like they are landlocked. How much hardball do you want to play with family?

Desi

Desi

Golden Chicken
Man, that stinks. Family is supposed to stick together not try to cheat each other. Have you talked to them to ask them why they are doing this? I'm sorry that your family member is being so crazy.

Melvin

Melvin

Farm Hand
Yikes. I'm sorry you're facing such a tough situation. I don't know if there's anything you can legally do to get them to charge you a fair price, but I would consult a lawyer. Maybe he/she can guide you on how to approach the situation. Maybe a mediator could also offer some help.