Combines cash rent

Silver_Bullet

The first thought that came to mind is, "a fool and his money shall soon part". Seriously, I expected this run up in rents and land values with strong prices this spring. If the marketing was done right, a farmer could have sold last years crop this spring at good prices and forward contracted this years crop at good prices. If that was done, then I can see where the extra money is comming from. The problem I see is those prices are not there now and may not be for a few years. You have to be pretty bullish to be willing to pay higher rents, now. Another trend I see is farmers willing to accept a lot of risk to make just a few dollars per acre. I know with crop insurance and some proper marketing, a lot of risk can be handled, but I don't see the point in farming land just to make 10 or 20 dollars per acre. Maybe I can see it, I just don't like it. It's getting like a lot of big businesses, a return of 1 or 2% is acceptable. I guess if you had $350_acre invested in a crop and made a 5% return which alot of businesses would be more than happy with, that would give you a profit of $17.50_acre. When you look at it that way, maybe it would be acceptable. But it sure isn't a lot of fun!

K_stater

Cash rent is the nail in the coffin for small-medium size farmers, only some don't know it yet. Small farmers would be a lot better off renting out what they own than farming their own at those prices. Medium sized farmers find themselves in a bidding war against the really big operations. Only very large operations can make it on those margins, and there is no "enjoyment" in farming that much ground anyway. landlords love it though...

MinnR62

The retired people around here that rent their farms to the 15,000 or 20,000 acre farmers are the same people that complain when a young farmer wants to build a large dairy or hog operation. They call that a factory farm, but yet they rent to a large guy. I don't get it. Am I missing something IJIJIJIJ