Combines CAT corn head

RamRod

The Geringhoff Co. makes a 2 roll head called the "MS" which is set up just like the old IH heads, and you get German reliability and durability to boot. Many lexion users have went to that head.

land_Surfer

The lexion is equal in quality and performance to the Geringhoff and doesn't demand a premium price.

Cutter

The lexion corn head is by far the superior header. It is built stout, the way a corn head should be, without any ridiculous lite-weight cantilever design like a Deere. Each row unit of the lexion cornhead is supported from the front and the rear for greater reliability. The lexion row units also use knife rollers as standard with four knives per roller, that actually meet parallel to each other during operation for amore agressive chopping of stalks, reducing butt shelling and reducing the overall amount of plant material entering into the comine, they simply make the header and combine work more efficiently. All other brands of corn heads, except the old 10 series CaseIh corn heads, use over lapping knife rollers like fluted rollers (because it's cheap, common design and components to the fluted rollers). Overlapping knife rollers require more power (and turn into fluted rolls when worn),do more butt shelling = header loss and cause more plant material to enter into the combine causing the combine to be under a much greater load than necessary. lexion knife rollers are extremely hardened and last years (excessive wear is directly related to conditions). lexion is also the only mfg. to offer a very simple a highly accurate row sensing guidance system, which is very handy for keeping the combine and header on the row in down corn (just run the header under the down crop and all it needs is an inch or so to guide the combine).

dakota

When you ask about CAT I assume you're asking for lexion. CAT is out of the ag business since 2002. The lexion corn units are made in Italy and assembled in Omaha. There are many differences to the Deere head. On a lexion the drive shaft for the row units is split, so a row unit can be taken out without pulling the whole drive shaft. The outside cover for the drive chain has a neopren gasket for easy removal and assembly. JD started doing that last year. I have not broken a drive shaft on a lexion corn head in two years, while we break row unit drive shafts on JD heads every season. The lexion stalk rolls have a support bearing in the front, that can easily be taken off to let the roll slide of easily. To get a JD stalk roll of it takes a stout puller and a 3_4 drive impact to pull a roll off. The gathering chains on the lexion head run on poly idlers in the front, that makes it very quiet. The snouts on the lexion fold up very easy, because they're supported by a gas shock. No pinning in the front is needed like on the JD. The front snout support on the lexion head is very light built and bends easy. The corner snouts support gets bend out of shape very easy, when the combine bounces through a pivot track. Much welding is needed. 2001 models and older have heavy slip clutches. After that there were some very light clutches put on. later versions got a little better, but I have not seen them as strong as the 2001 models. The deck plates on the lexion have a tight spot in the front. That requires them to be open more to let the stalks through. Behind the tight spot they're open further than neccessary, causing much more butt shelling than a JD head.

Cutter

You have the ability to change the stripper plate gap from tapered to parallel if you want. I agree that the snout's front point support and end divider points were not quite as stout as the rest of the head, but the new 500 model heads have significant improvements.

Case_Farmer

I agree!!! WE have some older 8 rows and they work great..... I hope they keep it up id like to get some newer style with poly sometime in the future but these things hold togeather

Big_Al

I have a friend of mine who has a 2003 2388 and they have a 12 row Cat corn head on the machine. They added the third lift cylinder on the combine and weights on the back of the machine. Post your emai and I will mail you their phone numbers if you want to talk to them.