Combines Changing R60 engine oil

camshaft

I, too, have been thinking of moving the batteries, but would like to get them out of the hot conditions that go with that engine compartment. Problem is I can't come up with a suitable spot.

Tom_Russell

I wrestled with the heat situation as you are doing but concluded the convenience of accessible batteries, oil filters, etc justified the cost of reduced battery life. I also changed from 3 group 24 batteries to 2 group 30 batteries to reduce battery and cable cost as well as reduce maintenance on battery terminals.

oatboy

How about building a "drawer" for the batteries - pull the drawer open to service batteries or change engine oil and slide the whole works back in when done. This would keep the batteries out of the engine compartment but offer accessibility when needed.

Tom_Russell

Thats the logical approach but can you justify the costIJ I estimate engine heat will reduce battery life from 5 years to 4 years. And the factory setup has 3 batteries compared to 2 batteries now. If batteries last 5 years out of the engine compartment and 4 years in the engine compartment there really is no monetary justification to building anything fancy because over a 10-year period, both approaches will require the same number of new batteries. Do you agreeIJ

NDDan

I kind of liked the kit to relocate them filters to right side of battery box but after a few hose leaks we removed some. We also moved bypass filter down to ground level but had to be sure to mount where tire won't catch it. We eliminated petcock on bottom of pan for drain hose with tapered plug on some machines. One thing I never did do is get the oil fill to where I could nicely get at it. Take care guys